false myocardial infarction?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a 29 year old male. not diabetic. non smoker. not obese. dont drink. no family history of heart disease. about 3 months ago i had a bout of anxiety an recorded an ECG which showed the following:1) Sinus Tachycardia 137 bpm 2) Possible inferior myocardial infarction with posterior extension probably old. I never had an episode of chest pain and follow up ECHO was normal. Should I be worried?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Why the word "false"?   You've had a heart attack some time previously, that's why it says "probably old".   This isn't uncommon and my understanding is that the term "inferior" refers to the part of the heart that was affected.

The important thing now is to check with your doctor if there's anything you need to do or medication you need to be taking, but it sounds as if everything is now normal.

I had a mild heart attack 5 1/2 years ago and realised after a while that if I allowed myself to become anxious I could bring on an angina attack very quickly:  I'd suggest you deal with your anxiety - have you tried meditation?  Or cognitive behaviour therapy?

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.

The point is that i never had any episode of chest pain before and this was really surprising on the ECG. My understanding is that sometimes the ECG can be deceiving and that false positive inferior myocardial infractions on the ECG are common.

I checked with several cardiologists, all of whom dismissed this as something arbitrary considering that the ECHO is now normal. Not one of them advised me to start medications or do a stress test.

This has become worrying recently because as you have said i cant distinguish between if this is only anxiety chest discomfort or really cardiac pain! I didnt have any symptoms before my ECG and now i seem to have them all.

Should i push my cardiologists for cath? Im only 29. But the uncertainty is really affecting my quality of life.

• Posted

There's an obvious way to check this:  find a way of dealing with your anxiety and if the symptoms abate you'll have your answer!   In any event, it would be a good idea to deal with the anxiety before it becomes entrenched:  the longer it goes on the harder it will be to alleviate and if by chance you do have some medical problem, anxiety isn't going to make it any better and could make it worse
  • Posted

Hi bmj86

Keep seeing your doctors. Also consider the great studies on CoQ10 and the heart. If you look up two more recent clinical trials, search for Q-Symbio and KiSel-10, you will find great information on the heart and how ubiquinone CoQ10 can strengthen and protect in many different ways. The two studies examined both people with CHF and healthy elderly persons with great success. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.