Family and Medical Diagnosis

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

I am totally new here but I am looking for advice (which I desperately need). I might ramble a little bit in this so I apologize in advance.

So I am 18, I have been in college for 2 semesters. I grew up with a ridiculously active father as an only parent. He did not believe in being sick, unless you were dying, he did not agree with going to the doctors office.

I was super active, elite figure skater, climber, runner among others.

When I started college I was feeling pretty healthy and was shooting for the aviation program but now I am not sure I will be able to maintain my medical through the FAA.

I have been having really bad leg strength, and control. Even simple things like walking from room to room in the apartment has become awful, I fall down and I have stopped trying to do many of the activities I grew up doing for fear of making whatever is making this change worse.

Because I am not so close to my father as of now, I feel that going to a medical professional will only hurt our relationship more and do not want to really share my struggles with him.

Do you guys have any advice?

I do want to help myself and go to a medical professional but how would you guys approach the issue on the family side?

Thanks,

Julie

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am very anti visiting doctors but a while back I was forced to. I started having bilateral pain and it got worse and worse. In the end I could not get out of bed. In my case I was given steroids and in less than twenty four hours I was back in the land of the living. Can you visit a doctor without your father knowing and explain the problem to the doctor? It is mad to carry on like you are if things are not improving. It does sound like it could be a chronic problem.

• Posted

You should go to the neurology community of this site. Click on the circle in the top right before your name and type neurology

• Posted

Can I just ask -are you saying that your dad wont let you go to the doctors?

My dad wont go the doctors if he has a cold /chest infection (unless its serious) but he doesnt object to me & my mum going to the doctors though

why should going to a doctors hurt your relationship between you & your dad? its not upto him -even if youre not close to him if you feel you need to get an appointment then you do so

• Posted

Julie - the docs are the ones who can advise you, and you need to understand what's happening asap. You are young and what you report is not normal. See the doc - don't tell dad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.