Family member treating TIA naturally

Posted , 5 users are following.

So my uncle had a TIA (mini stroke) his wife is a nurse so when he explained his symptoms numbness, weakness in arm ect she told him it was a TIA but he doesn't need to go and see a doctor ect because she is very anti drugs and doesn't trust doctors so instead she has told him he can cure it naturally by taking magisum and q10 and exercising as well as watching what he eats so he doesn't go on to have a full blown stroke. When he had this TIA " his blood pressure was up to 180 and he went numb on one side it only lasted a short while but sounds not good. He hasn't gone to seek any real medical help and has just done what his wife told him to do, take his natural supplements and do more exercise and watch what he eats. Though it does seem to be doing him good as hes lost weight and his blood pressure is down but I am still worried about him having a stroke as he hasn't gone to see a doctor about it. Hes in his early 60's. So I am asking on here if he has done the right thing or not?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

He must see a Doctor to check his blood pressure  now and in a regular basis and receive the correct medication. Or if he has another stroke it could paralyse  him or even worse in all due respect your wife should know better and her personal views shouldn’t come into it get him checked out properly 
    • Posted

ok but he said since hes started doing all of this natural therapy his blood pressure has dropped a lot and is now at a good level and he has lost about 15 KG so he reckons he will be as right as rain now. I do hope hes right.
  • Posted

Hi chaz ive had small strokes and im on blood thinners now and bp tablets ive got arterial fibrilation and its important you get on regular meds because you are at high risk of major stroke yes by all means diet change is good and gentle exercise but conventional medication is important too im regularly at the docs and it takes over your life at times but at the end of the day your health and well being is at the for front regards jo
  • Posted

First course of treatment for a TIA is low dose aspirin. After that if you do have a stroke or another TIA then they will most likely put you on Plavix which blood thinner that will help keep you from forming another clot that goes to your brain causing a stroke. I think they were both Reckless with his health in not confirming a TIA at the emergency room. There's no way to know if it was a TIA or a full-on stroke. The only way you can determine that is through a C-scan. A lot of people are under the misconception that if you do not have long-term deficits that is a TIA and not a stroke. But that is absolutely not true. I have had both and I have no deficits whatsoever. My first one was a full on stroke and they had me take aspirin. Then a few years later I had a TIA. And I do not have any deficits from it either. I don't see any reason at all why he cannot follow an approved Medical treatment plan and also continue with the diet and supplements.

• Posted

Hello. I just wanted to respond concerning your uncle. I'm a patient of 2 TIA's and a stroke affecting my left side. I wanted to let you know the benefits of being checked out by a good medical team. Because of the stroke, the tests that were done, an aneurysm was discovered. So now I'm receiving preventative treatment for an aneurysm. I totally understand the desire for organic medications and treatment, but we never know what else may be discovered by a cat scan or other tests. So, I wish your uncle the best...God Bless!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.