Family members want me to get a flu shot...

Posted , 4 users are following.

... because I'm around my elderly father, who has asthma, a few days a week (he's had his flu shot). So, to me, there's 2 options. Don't get the shot, and there's a small chance I'll be sick for about a week, which is about how long I had the flu for in the past. Or, get the shot and I'm more likely to get the flu, though only for a few days. That's not even taking into account how effective the flu virus is this year. I'm curious others thoughts on the matter.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

The flu shot is 10-30 percent effective. That can mean the difference of being hospitalized or treating flu at home. You do not get sick from a flu shot. If you get a flu shot and become sick it is because you came across a live virus after the shot. The flu shot is not an active cell therefore it can not give you the flu. It is a proven fact getting the flu shot does not keep you from getting the flu but it may keep your sypmtoms less. Also remember it takes two weeks to get that 10-30 percent imunity after the flu shot is given. It's never to late for it. We have about 10 weeks left of the worse flu season in 15 years. Also remember the problem is Flu A but flu b is also out there. You will have 50-60 percent coverage from the shot for flu b. Good luck

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. I'm curious where you get your information from? I ask because there seems to be so much different or conflicting info out there.

• Posted

You don't have to be a Dr to give your opinion on virus's. I do not give false information. I do daily research for years on germs and viruses. My sister is a pathologist so if I'm not sure I always go to her for answers. If your questioning people's answers don't use this forum. This is for people that look for advice from other people. Not DR's and nurses. Just regular people that go through illnesses. I don't need to explain to you or anyone about my knowledge. I'm doing it out of kindness to try and help.

• Posted

Remember nothing is 100 percent perfect or correct but it's good to get opinions on people then make ur own choices. If ur not sure on what someone says then research urself and don't join groups where people give advice.

• Posted

By the way what is so conflicting to you on my opinion? What answer did I give that you are questioning?
    • Posted

Why would I waste my time on giving advice to people that ask. That does not make sense. I know this is a free country I have lived in it for many many years. If you're looking for an argument go onto another social media site not a site that ill and sick people are looking for free advice from other ill and sick people. Thank you

• Posted

If you think asking someone where they get their info is arguing then I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree.

• Posted

The flu shot will not necessarily prevent you from getting the flu. I took the flu shot because I'm required to as I work in a hospital and have gotten the flu twice this season in despite of the shot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.