Family members who don't believe in science

Posted , 3 users are following.

I really hope that there's someone here who understands or shares an understanding for what's going on here.

My family member, not really someone who trusts "western" medicine. Understandable. However, the problem that this is causing is that they're purchasing and believing and being prey to these companies that are essentially pyramid schemes and being upset that I refuse treatment.

Actually, not just upset. Angry.

The premise: We are all in a western-science world, but they're not educated in the same way. I'm sure some people can relate or understand. And given my long-term illnesses, they came to believe that these types of supplements and vitamins that the company sells essentially can cure everything. They believe that they had serious issues which were 100% cured by these things and that my issues were cured by these things. Basically, if they became terminally ill, there's no doubt to me that what they would do is buy a ton of these pills and things and just wolf them down as treatment.

These pyramid scheme type products (without being specific for which one), prey on people's lack of knowledge but of course, it creates real victims out here, like myself. The short issue I'm currently facing is that these are overpriced vitamins which my family member believes have what are basically cure-all capabilities.

Things that these individual distributors do are that they'll go to any length to make things up to sell products, I reckon. For where do you get stories like, these actual vitamins/dietary supplements cured someone's cancer? (Leaves the company less liable for making things up)

Any advice for what to do....? This person gets angry at me for declining 'treatment' and eating these vitamins. Once, it nearly caused me to choke, and while the risk of death may have been low, I did think I might die. The s****y way that the tablets are designed cause them to stick to your throat after being in contact with water. So this sticky capsule stuck to my throat. šŸ˜ƒ

I can't understate the difficulty of dealing with this sort of s**t, really. It's a big problem that doctors simply can't and aren't equipped to deal with, if you know what I mean. The issue is really kind of educational, but it does cause me mental issues at least a little bit. Trying to put up resistance is difficult each day.

Not sure what to do. Are there any types of groups where people can get help for basically family members who are kinda into fake medicine? (best category I could find was for mental health)

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

I donā€™t know if this will help you, but all I have to offer is to share my perspective.

It seems like a ā€œboth sides of the fenceā€ when it comes to how you feel about Western Medicine and how they do.

You wonā€™t find me on either side because Iā€™m in the middle.

There was a time though that I was so anti-western medicine that I tried to control others to stop investing in that energy. Little did I know that I was attaching myself to it as well, even though I was against it, that it was still an attachment.

I even became a distributor for a ā€œhealthā€ product way a while back when I was in this phase. And while I donā€™t have anything against it, I donā€™t believe that itā€™s the answer.

So, while I donā€™t attach to either side now, I can observe from outside. (whatā€™s up with all the ā€œwhilesā€? ā˜ŗļø)

And I feel free.

The middle is a great place to be.

For I can meet either one of you halfway.

So my understanding of this situation is you are experiencing a long term illness and the doctor tells you to take their pills and your family member tells you to take their vitamins?

Mean ā€¦ (here it comes again ā˜ŗļø) while Iā€™m looking at this tugging back and forth and wanting to know: what is it that the long term illness wants? Does it want pills, vitamins or something else?

After my phase of ā€œdonā€™t trust western medicineā€ I found medicine in emotional healing. And itā€™s not something I have to get someone to buy to move me up in the pyramid. I have found more purpose in digging than climbing. With emotional healing I find both the bigger picture and deeper meaning.

So, wether this reply helps you or not, thank you for the opportunity in holding the space for it.

• Posted

Hmm

Well thank you for at least responding. What I was really looking for was other people who may share the same problem, but no, to answer your question, while it wasn't the doctor says this and the family member says that, it's more like the family member just doesn't trust at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.