Farsightedness

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I'm asking just out of curiosity. What could be the reason of which my condition was determined as farsightedness (in the prescription for the glasses is written +2 for both eyes in a column "Cyl"wink, if I see perfectly at close distance and bad at far distances. Why it isn't called nearsightedness, and farsightedness, if the symptoms are of nearsightedness. Many people have asked me for this. I have it since early childhood, so it is impossible to have a mistake. 

Sorry, if I have grammatical errors, english is not my native language. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

This emoticon appears by chance, I cannot edit the text...
  • Posted

The "CYL" column is for astigmatism which is seperate from nearsightnes or farsightnes. Astigmatism is distortion of the eye's optics that is also corrected in glasses perscription.

• Posted

Thank you for the answer, exactly and full that is said that I have, is " farsightedness and astigmatism ". But the strange thing is why " farsightedness ", not nearsightness. Yes, the dioptres are with sign " plus " , but the symptoms - of nearsightness, not of farsightness. 

• Posted

It refers to what you can see well. I am nearsighted meaning I can see near. If you are farsighted itmeans you can see well far away. Is that what you were asking? The cylinder ( astigmatism) will have nothing to do with being near or farsighted. Do you know what the numbers before the cylinder were? It would be under sphere. That will show you the power for either nearsighted or far.
    • Posted

Under sphere doesn't written nothing, it is empty.

Under cylinder is written " +2,0 ".

And this, that I have " farsightedness and astigmatism ", I have heard from the eye-doctors many times. And the sign before these 2 "cylinders" is + /plus/, as it is for farsightedness.

• Posted

Yes, so your sphere would be +2.00, cylinder -2.00, then whatever your axis is. They only told you but didn't convert it for you to see. The cylinder should be negative. some eye doctors put it all in the cylinder but then it has to be changed to get your sphere. So then with this Rx you would be farsighted. This does not mean your distance vision is perfect w/o glasses and there are other things that can cause your vision to be blurry. (cataracts). They base your Rx on where your focal point for your vision is. Hope this helps.

• Posted

I don't have cataracts. In axis is written 95 and 85.

But whatever. Plus, minus... very complicated to be understanded and explained, haha...

Thank you for the answers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.