Fast ferritin reduction...??? Opinions needed...dare I hope?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Iron panel blood tests revealed high ferritin.

Subsequent tests revealed:

Ferritin 960 TS 75% no inflamation

Ferritin 975TS 65 no inflamation

Ferritin 1010

Liver MRI showed excess iron consistent with HH...other organs fine.

I am totally asymptomatic (70 yr old female 115lbs)

Genetic bood tests confirmed two copies of C282Y.

Prescribed biweekly phlebotomy.

I have had only 4 phlebotomies .

Recent Blood test Indicates Ferritin...529?. i am ecstatic...but skeptical that

this is too good to be true...opinions please...Please.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi jax, speaking from the experience of 21 years diagnosed with homozygous C282Y and 9 years severe symptoms before that, plus husband homozygous H63D, and son compound heterozygous C282Y/H63D, plus reading and talking to many researchers, there is no textbook results for vx results.

Some experience a fast fall in the beginning from a high level, then slow down considerably when level gets lower, and some experiences are quite different.

If you have no inflammation at all, that is probably making it easier for you as you are not loading almost as much as you are eliminating. Frequency of vx is generally slowed down after a couple of weeks of bi-weekly, to weekly, then 2 weekly, monthly, and so on.

I note that your TS% is reducing well too. This contributes to your fast reduction. If the TS% stays high, then it is more hard going.

If elimination slows down, you will just have to be patient with it. Do not eliminate red meat and greens or your Hb will reduce and make it difficult for you to continue having vx.

Everyone has a different experience, which can chop and change during the process of de-ironing. You can only just go with the 'flow'. 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.