Fast heart day after drinking is it normal

Posted , 5 users are following.

i am a 20 year old male, 6ft at 70kg. I am in average shape, I run for 30 mins three days a week. I only drink occasionally maybe once a week and that may only be one pint or so. Two days ago I drank quite heavily 8 pints and 350mls of vodka perhaps more over 7 hour time period. That morning I woke up to my heart trying to break my rib cage, with its pounding and persistence. I got up and checked it on my mothers blood pressure monitor and it was 105 with my bp being 137/88. This was very worrisome for me as my heart rate is generally at the high 50s when at rest with my bp averaging around 115/65. I tried not to worry about it too much as I knew anxiety would only accelerate the symptoms. I got a shower and remained pretty docile for the day but the pounding remained until I went asleep that night. I checked it multiple times throughout the day and it stayed above 90 but never going over 110 and my bp decreased to 125/80. Today everything is back to normal with just with a slightly elevated heart rate 75 at rest. I am just wondering is it normal to experience this??I've binged before in the past and generally have same problem however this time I was able to monitor it. Will this have serious complications on my heart if I continue drink or is there anything I can do to ease the symptoms I experience. Thanks everyone in advance and sorry for the little story just wanted to make sure I explained everything precisely.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If you normally don't drink such a large amount, this sounds like a reaction to the amount you drank that day, Gary.

The other issue to consider is that alcohol causes anxiety and it may well be that your reaction was an acute attack of anxiety.

You BP and pulse are nothing to worry about. While 120/80 is around average for BP and a pulse of anywhere between 55 and 100 is common in healthy people, everybody's BP and pulse vary a lot depending on what they have been doing and their level of anxiety at any point in time. You may also be getting increases in these because you are worried what they will be each time you measure them.

Large amounts of alcohol DO have an effect on people's heart and other organs so it is always a bad idea to have large binges but I don't believe you have done yourself any lasting harm from your binge the other day.

Best to stay aware of what reaction you have to heavy drinking and try and avoid going overboard.

If you have concerns about your heart over the next few days, best to go and see your GP and get your mind put at rest.

• Posted

I'm 35 years old and I've had the same thing since as long as I remember .. I've seen lots of doctors over the years and trust me it's nothing to worry about. Your heart is a very sophisticated machine and when you pay to much attention to it , it can be worrisome . For me it's all mental only because I pay attention to every little beat lol......cheers buddy enjoy life

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.