Fast heart rate and palpitations after eating

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I had an endoscopy a few weeks ago which was all normal, but also found I have a weak lower stomach sphincter so expect I have reflux (I know I do ask can feel it!). I have really bad chest pains and upper back pain, often feel dizzy and get headaches every other day. The worst thing though is the fast heart rate and skipped beats I have after eating. I also struggle to breathe properly after eating too (mainly after evening meal). I have suffered from anxiety and worry that all of this is anxiety related (after countless heart tests etc which we all essentially normal). Does anyone else get this? Need a bit of reassurance. 🙏 

3 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Allison

Sorry you are suffering, I too have awful upper back pain, not so much chest, I've had it for weeks now, has me worried sick, how can this be reflux, are you taking ppi,?

• Posted

Hi Kate. I’ve only taken a PPI in the last couple of days which has stopped the burning feeling but not much else. In fact the fast heart rate and palpitations are worse! Do you get any other symptoms? 
    • Posted

I get heart flips on and off, nausea and burning in my breast bone on and off but the back pain is almost daily and really intense, I'm on 20mg omeprazole twice a day but it's doing nothing, I came off ppi last June as I had to have a 24hr manometry test done, I stayed off them then until September and felt good while on nothing, but at start October it all came back worse than ever, the manometry test showed slight night reflux, they seemed to think one tablet at night would stop it but it hasn't, some days the pain is so bad it's like having a heart attack that starts in my back.

• Posted

Hi Alison. I suffer from Gerd and have also have a lax lower oesophagus. Recently I've had heart palpitations after eating as well as a sore throat. The ppis don't seem to help so I try to control it with good antacids like gaviscon advance. I also suffer with anxiety but I can never tell whether the reflux causes the anxiety or vice versa. I am worse when at work, better when on holiday. My doctors have called it functional dyspepsia - which basically means they don't know what's causing it.

I'd love to know where you are at with this since your post. Any tests/result? I too would like reassurance!

• Posted

Hi Peter. I found out I’ve got various food intolerances recently (dairy, eggs etc) and have cut out everything and feel much better. I’ve also given in and started taking anti-anxiety meds and I’m feeling lots better (just headaches now, but back and chest pain and palpitations reduced significantly). 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.