Fasting Blood Test 5.9

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, have just had a fasting test which came out at 5.9, never been high before, I have been told I need to speak to the practice nurse, as whilst this is not a diagnosis for diabetes, told it could lead there.  I do like sweet things not the conventional choccy bars, I eat lots of full fat yoghurts with the fruit in the bottom as they say the low fat ones are full of sugar and I also have those innocent shop brought smoothies, so I expect it is this rather than a mars bar, which I do have occasionally.  I do not want to go onto tablets and the note from the GP said to come in for a chat which I expect is to discuss how to get it down.  I have googled and struggling to find that is a good level of sugar to look for as not all products have the traffic light system, is it less than 5% in 100 grams, also if you are meant to have 5 pieces of fruit per day what fruit is considered better for lower sugar, I love blueberries and bananas? I ask this because I thought cloudy apple juice was good but it has a whopping great 11% per 100gms. I am really struggling with how to get it down quickly if that is even possible.  Any ideas appreciated. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Is this the test [see below] you have had? I just wondered as the more usual test is the HbA1c for diagnosis of both type 2 diabetes and pre diabetes. A useful website is diabetes.co.uk where there is a myriad of information and an excellent forum where you can ask all manner of questions.  Most people seem to go low carb to reduce their glucose levels and get control of their diabetes.  Diet is the key to control. Sadly fruit juice and smoothies are not helpful, Along with fizzy drinks they all contain too much sugar and you are better eating the fresh fruit.

It is good that your doctor has recognised that your glucose levels are becoming too high.  You have the opportunity to reduce them and stop diabetes in its tracks. Best of luck !

Fasting Plasma Glucose Test (FGT)

The FGT test works by measuring the level of glucose in an individual's blood after a period of fasting.

Anyone who is at a high risk of pre-diabetes should be given the FPG test. This includes those who are severely overweight or obese, people of South Asian or African-Caribbean descent, or anyone with a family history of diabetes.

The fasting plasma glucose test is performed after a person fasts for at least 8 hours.

Individuals who have a blood glucose level greater than or equal to 7.0 mmol/L (126 mg/dl) will be retested and, if the results are consistent, diagnosed with diabetes.

If the results are less than 7.0 mmol/L (126 mg/dl) but greater than 6.1 mmol/L (110 mg/dl) the individual will be diagnosed as having impaired fasting glucose, or pre-diabetes

• Posted

Hi Jane, it was a fasting plasma glucose test, I could not eat for 12 hours. I was just a bit surprised as when it has been tested before, not for diabetic reasons just generally, it has always been really good.  The only thing I could think of was the smoothies etc.  I do not drink fizzy drinks, mainly water and the odd glass of prosecco.  Have looked at the website and now trying to be a bit more careful with what I choose to eat.  I think I have just got to see the nurse for a warning chat, as it say's repeat test annually.  I do not want to become diabetic as my father in law is in a dreadful state, enough to make me take action now.  Take care

• Posted

Hi, if you are in uk then 5.9 fasting is normal. Not sure why are you worried. I believe diagnosis is around 6.7 in the morning.

You need to see your GP to be assured.

• Posted

Hi, yes I thought the need to see the nurse was a bit over the top, but it does say for a lifestyle chat which is a good way of tackling things before it becomes worse.  Thanks
  • Posted

Hi

I had always been normal until 3 years ago my HbA1c gave a reading of 42.  I was told 43 - 47 was pre-diabetes and I needed to get it under control NOW.  I followed a pre-diabetic diet using information I trawled online, and 3 months later my reading was 39, then after a further 3 months, down to 37.  So following a sensible diet was the right thing for me, and my readings have been consistently under 40 ever since.

One thing I was told was no more than 3 pieces of fruit a day, and only half a banana a day, or one of the fun size kids ones.  I get my 5 a day from veggies, and cut right down on carbs, swapping potato for squash or sweet potato, cutting out other root veggies like parsnips and pasta, and having just one piece of gluten free bread every few days.  I look for green for sugars on the traffic lights system, and no added sugars.  Also I was told to lose weight - I am obese!  Good luck

• Posted

Hi, I am also now looking at all the labels on foods and going for green sugars, so hopefully I can bring it down without the need for any medication.  I see nurse on 19th and expect will then get retested after 3 months.  I am happy with 3 pieces of fruit as I do like to snack on it, and sweet potato is one of my new favs.  Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.