Fasting food AND water 8 hours before ultrasound?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am having my gallbladder ultrasound today at 1:00.  She told me on the phone yesterday no food, water or even gum 8 hours before.  I probably should have made a morning appt so I don't have to wait so long.  

I can handle the food but it's the lack of water that's killing me.  I came down with a terrible sore throat/cold yesterday and I would die for a drink of water right now.  I read online that most places say you can take a few sips of water with meds.  I am literally watching the minutes pass, waiting for this to be over with so I can drink.  Ugh...It's only 10:15.

I wonder what  a little tiny bit of water would do to affect my scan. It's kind of ironic that in my last pelvic ultrasound, I had to drink 2 quarts of water beforehand!  

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Janecat,

?Sorry you are not feling well but DO NOT DRINK anything take a piece of ice swooshing around and spit out. You don't want anything to mess up the ultrasound.

?I know the day I had the surgery same sernerio nothing to drink and it felt as if the desert was planted in my mouth. smile But just remember all this shall pass.

• Posted

Thanks Deborah, I made it and the US is over with. Lunch and water never tasted so good. Now, I just wait.
    • Posted

Hi, I just saw this thread. What are the odds, tomorrow I will have my abdominal ultrasound as well at 1pm. I am already imagining the headache I will be having from missing breakfast and lunch. I should have gotten an earlier sched. I hope the results from your ultrasound turn out great and that there is nothing to worry about. I am having abdominal pains on the left. I usually feel it most after eating. 
  • Posted

Hi Janecat,

?I wouldn't worry about the scan.  If you need to take medicine, you can take a tiny swallow of water with your meds.  Ice chips are best until you are allowed to drink water again.  Don't worry, you will survive.  I was not allowed water for four days until after my gallbladder surgery.  If you need to have immediate surgery, then you will be put on a saline solution in the hospital.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.