Fasting Good for Upset Stomachs?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

My question is implied in the title: is a 24 hour fast (or restricted 600cal food intake) beneficial for upset stomachs? Google finds this question impossible to answer, which is why I ask it here. Thanks in advance.

GeeKay

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I would only fast if I had a vomiting bug in order to settle my stomach. On other occasions if it's just bad indigestion or nausea, just eat blandly. In both cases, if I have lack of appetite too, I find myself having to restrict food because I don't feel like eating. As to whether it is beneficial, it is difficult to say because different things work for different people. We are not doctor here, so it is better to get advice from your doctor.

• Posted

Pippa is right about not fasting.

I suggest that until at least 2 days after you feel well, eat blandlt, eat little. Eat nothing dairy; no alcohol and nothing spicy. Drink say 10 glasses of water per day. Keep very well hydrated. If you find yourself peeing very often, GREAT!

• Posted

Hi Geekay

Fasting for a length of time will cause stomach upsets due to the the release of extra acid. If you do fast regularly you will get an iffy stomach so the answer would be to not fast on a regular basis and for a long time....

• Posted

I was thinking of just a 24-hour period. I have an upset stomach due to a long term use of nicotine patches / nicotine lozanges. It's slowly getting better, but I've had to eat blander foods than is normally the case with my diet (bananas, eggs, white rice etc). That's okay, but I just thought a couple of (non-consecutive) 24-hour fasts would give my stomach (and me) a break. Thanks for all the helpful advice. It makes a big difference.

Geekay

PS. I'm still off the ciggies - have been for a long time now 😃

• Posted

May I suggest not to have a 24 hr fast but instead skip a meal one day for a couple of days That should be tolerated by your stomach better than a denial of food for 24 hrs.

• Posted

If eating blandly is working for you, stick with that rather than fasting. If you suddenly introduce a big diet change like skipping a meal, it might a upset your stomach more.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.