fat and on orlistat

Posted , 5 users are following.

Well ive always been overweight been on all the diets had all the checks from docs been the gym ect ect ect and not able to loose weight. recently moved to different place got new doc who has put me on orlistat 120mg well tomorrow will be 1 week on them and i havent lost a bit, i dont eat alot and i dont eat alot of fat. so just cant understand why i dont loose the weight. ive told my hubby when i have to go see doc again in 3 weeks if i still havent lost anything he has to come with me to be my witness that i havent cheated

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I think people can get too hung up on weekly loss. In general, people are officially weighed at the docs once a month and that's for a reason. Weight can fluctuate for many reasons and you may well find that next week is great, but until you get that first month figure, don't be too worried. Just keep up the good work smile
  • Posted

i agree with maxi, you need to try this for a while to see if its right for you, it may not be but you wont know until you've given it a good go.
  • Posted

You could also try measuring yourself........

Sometimes we lose inches and not LBS - strange but true, I guess it may depend on what exercise you may or may not be doing.

Keep going, its hard when you dont get the loss you deserve but it will show in the end. Which is why we shouldnt go too much on what the scales say.

I lost 3lb in my first week - which I was pleased with. Then I only lost 1lb in my second week. I battled with the usual \"whats the point\" feeling and had it not been for the fact I dont want to suffer any side effects I managed to stay on track for another week. And it DID show, I lost 4lb this week !!

It could have been easy to let that small loss dishearten me, but i decided to stick with it.....and reaped the rewards this week !!

x x x

• Posted

I've been on them for nearly a year, and I have gone entire months' without losing a pound, but I'll lose inches. Don't be disheartened that you haven't lost anything in your first week, just keep your eye on the bigger longterm goal.

Have you been doing plenty of exercise? I know from personal experience, if I don't exercise, I don't lose weight (due to an underactive thyroid). Have you also made sure you're not eating more than 30g of fat a day?

• Posted

[quote:a4c64ec1c9=\"Fand\"]I've been on them for nearly a year, and I have gone entire months' without losing a pound, but I'll lose inches. Don't be disheartened that you haven't lost anything in your first week, just keep your eye on the bigger longterm goal.

Have you been doing plenty of exercise? I know from personal experience, if I don't exercise, I don't lose weight (due to an underactive thyroid). Have you also made sure you're not eating more than 30g of fat a day?[/quote:a4c64ec1c9]

i havent been able to exercise this week caz i have a little 13month old and as people know you cant seem to do anything lol.

but befor i was preg i did tae kwon do 3times a week and still didnt loose weight. i was belimic in my early 20's and went from size 22 to size 12 in 6 months was out of work and did 36 laxatives a day then did 1.5 hours of exercise then did 3 hours at gym then home and before went to bed another 1.5 hours exercise. yesterday i had 2 rounds dry toast 1 for breakfast 1 for lunch and 3 sausages for tea. weighed myself today and nothing. but for the lady that said she didnt loose anything in a month why go on the slimming tabs coz you seem to be loosing the weight as you would on normal diet?

• Posted

I know this may sound odd but you do need to eat certain amount to lose weight. the tablets only work on your fat intake so if you don't eat any fat the tablets won't do anything.

I am finding that I am eating more at lunchtimes then I every have before. breakfast is still the same bowl of mixed cereals, special K mixed with some shreddies and sometimes handful of nuts and raisins.

Lunch is bagel with WW cheese spread, apple, grapes, carrots followed by special K bar or Go ahead bar.

Tea is usually a proper meal cooked from a low fat recipe book but where it says will feed four, even though there are 3 of us in the pass used to dish the lot up now I will dish up 4 and save one for the following day. then I will have yoghurt and fruit (mango, melon, blueberries, grapes).

If peckish thro the day I will have Snack a Jack caramel or dried prunes/apricots.

From what you said you ate yesterday I really don't think you are eating enough to loss weight healthily.

• Posted

2 lots of dry toast and 3 sausages in one day? you need to eat balanced meals, your body needs some fat to run efficiently and needs nutrients.

its ok to have something on your toast - beans, spaghetti, jam, low fat spread (lowest i have found is flora extra light in lilac tub), low fat cheese spreads and you should be looking to incorporate fruit and veg into your meals. if all you are having is 2 lots of dry toast and 3 sausages a day then your body isnt getting what it needs. you can have up to 30g fat a day with no more than 15g in a meal, a typical days eating for me is:

breakfast - special k with 150ml 1%fat milk - 3g

lunch - 3crumpets, lowfat spread thinly spread, baked beans, banana, muller light yoghurt - 4.6g

dinner - grilled chicken breast, boilled potatoes, veg, gravy, ww frozen desert - 10.5g

i also have a small amount of milk in my tea and if peckish nibble on carrots, apples, cucumber etc

• Posted

Yep, the problem there is you're not eating enough. Your body is going into starvation mode, which means it's preserving and holding on to the fat you have.

You probably ate about 5-10g of fat for the entire day... you need to be nearer 30g, eat 3 good meals each day, with salad, veg, some carbs and protein, eat plenty of fruit too, drink lots of water, and try to drink a cup of green tea each day. This is what one of my days typically look like...

Breakfast

Bowl of mini shredded wheat and milk

Cup of coffee

Lunch

Packet of Ainsley Harriets Cous Cous

1 packet of snack a jacks (either berry or caramel - others are too high in fat)

and a Muller Light yoghurt or rice pudding

Can of diet coke

Dinner

Some form of grilled meat (chicken usually - sometimes chicken sausages from the butchers as they're low in fat), with mashed potato (no added butter), and vegetables. Or could be tomato chicken pasta, chicken risotto (no cheese)... or my favourite, pitta pizzas! (pitta pizzas I make up of strips of grilled chicken breast, put either bbq sauce or tomato puree on the pitta, put the chicken on it, sprinkle some freshly chopped corriander on the top and you're done, very low fat, and very tasty) smile

• Posted

Thanks for all your reply's I didnt explain things right the thing is that that was just one day just to see if i would lose weight but normaly i have been haveing a balenced diet, with all the right stuff and ive been eating more than u usualy do before when i tried the carb only diet i lost quite a bit. it's just that looking at all your weight losses it just makes me think if your wernt on orlistat then youd still loose the same amount of weight. im also starting to think that my scales are a bit on the naff side ive had them years lol :cry:
  • Posted

obviously if you are on a low fat diet you will lose weight but these are meant to help you stick to it by giving the side affects if you go over. also they take out a 3rd of the fat so your body doesnt have to deal with that.
  • Posted

I actually came off the blueys for a couple of months around Oct time, for about 2 months, I stuck to nothing over 5% fat and making sure I was having around 30g per day, and I didn't lose 1lb in that time... they bluey's make a big difference smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.