fat free diet help

Posted , 9 users are following.

My daughter has gallstones and is in quite a bit of pain.  She was in hospital last weekend because of the gallstones, and was told to follow a low fat diet.  she is still in pain and went back to see her gp today, he has told her she needs to follow a fat-free diet.  as he put it no fat = no pain.  was wondering if anyone else had any experience of a fat free diet and how easy is it to follow.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi! I am in my senior years with gall bladder Plus 3 different cancers..  Since she is young...take what she likes...then narrow it down to what is low in fat...NO junk foods

mostly fruits, veggies, potatoes with NO sauces, rice, chicken...it is either pain or

NOT...Drink only water (plenty) Do not fry food unless in a very, very little olive oil

Keep most things Plain.  NO desserts,,especially ice creams and START reading

all Labels on foods and keep it under 6grams of fat and what has NO labels goggle up the fat contents.  I keep Unsalted saltine crackers nearby when my belly feels empty. Good luck!!

• Posted

Hi Lynda I cut out all fat products and dairy it did help for a little while but eventually that also stopped working. I was back at GP today as I am still have attacks of severe pain being sent for an Ultra sound scan (awaiting appointment) bloods taken results next friday and more medication to take when Pain is bad it is to stop the muscles in my stomach going into spasm, gp thinks stones may have got trapped in the tube from liver thus causing pain we will see.
  • Posted

Hi Lynda, the gp isn't quite correct with no fat= no pain, less fat can reduce the pain but unfortunately some of us it doesn't matter what you eat and you still get pain but its the severity. 

Basically as someone has said no fried food, spicy food, rich/ creamy food, full fat cheeses/ yoghurts. I didn't have any dairy at all except milk in tea/coffee some find that they can't bear that after a while but we're all different so its going to be a trial and error. We ended up making everything ourselves so we knew what was in it. Jacket potatoes, pasta, rice, fish, chicken, salads, fruit and veg are all good or were for me. I stayed away from red meat as I found it too rich. I did manage to eat a little chocolate all the way through but I know others couldn't stand it.

Try low fat rather than no fat and see how she does. As I said it is trial and error to see what she reacts too but if you remember the main don'ts then hopefully it'll ease her symptoms a bit.

Let me know how she gets on and keep us updated with her symptoms x

• Posted

thank you all for your comments.  my daughter is 22 years old but still my 'baby'.  we had a look round a local supermarket and come to the conclusion that it is almost impossible to follow a "fat-free" diet.  i said to my daughter that the best thing would be to follow a very low-fat diet.  the gp has given her buscopan to help relax her gallbladder so hopefully the pain will soon ease and make her feel a lot better. 

she has a hospital appointment at the begining of june, they will then see if they are going to remove her gallbladder.

• Posted

Don't worry I'm in my 40's and my mum hates what I'm going through with the pain, I'm still her baby in her eyes too!

Stick to low fat and homemade if you can then at least you know whats going into each meal. If she eats smaller amounts but more frequently then it won't overload her already struggling gallbladder.

Keep me updated with how she gets on.x

• Posted

I have found certain foods trigger, regardless of fat as did my mum and both cousins. For example I can happily eat 2 pork sausages ( not much extra fat as from the organic butcher homemade) and lamb roast, coconut yogurt and even dark chocolate, however raw veggies, lamb sausages, eggs, bacon, too many nuts, too much coconut, certain fruits, potatoes, dairy, gluten and red meat cause symptoms. I also believe no fat is very very unhealthy and will cause further health issues as our body needs fast for our brain and hormones, its vitally important. I currently take ox bile and digestive enzymes and its helping a lot with symptoms currently.

In the end though every single item of food triggered my mums. Hopefully you can work out what actually triggers it smile good luck x

• Posted

check out the liver dr site, heaps of great information smile
  • Posted

Hi lynda. I had my gall bladder removed in February after 2 years of what I can only describe as agony. After every flare up I was also advised to cut out fat from my diet. I did this morning was almost living on chicken, vegetables, pasta and potatoes. Eventually though after a month or 2 of that I was still having flare ups despite the low fat diet. Even when I'd eaten nothing it would flare up. The only thing that solved mine was having it removed. Hope your daughter gets some ease soon. It really is the worst pain

• Posted

hi i had my gallbladder out now but i had to be on a low fat diet. i found you have to see what works for you go for foods that are under 3g fat and also low in surger and stay away from dairy and fried foods. chicken, fish like cod and turkey are the best low fat meats but dont get chicken with the skin on. Check all labels to make sure there is low fat and low suger. x
  • Posted

I concur with what folk have said, go as low fat as possible.  I lived on water biscuits, ham, homous, fruit and veg, haribo, low fat yogurt and skimmed milk, fish (non oily).  Turkey is very low fat.  Once you get into it, it will be easier.  Honest!  Good luck.
  • Posted

Hiya

I follow slimmingworld diet so most stuff is low fat x usually 5% or less .

However I ate oats and water for breakfast one day and it triggered a attack - like others say you have to find your trigger x

Hope your daughter gets sorted soon

• Posted

Just curious...What have you eatten prior to the oats and water???

Just wondering???

• Posted

Nothing - I can't remember what I had for my meal the evening before but it will have been low fat as I eat slimming world friendly meals . So are low fat x

I can eat a spicy curry and be ok

Some days it's the simplest of food that can trigger me x

• Posted

Cwitch, I have read many reports lately that low fat diets can actually cause gallstones. We are meant to eat healkthy fats for our brains, for fat digestable vitamins and our hormones, the bile is sat there for when we do, when we dont use our bile (low fat diets) then the bile sits and stagnates, turning to mush and then stones, another cause of gallstones and a huge contributor to the amount of people suffering and all the operations, obviouslt not the only cause, I have never been on any low fat. We are actually meant too consume healthy fats for our good health.
  • Posted

Yes I have read this too and loosing weight too quickly can cause them x ( although not the case with me , it's taken me 8 months to loose a stone )

I have been on a sw plan this time since august - got dx January after attack just before Christmas ( had been on works do and had a three course meal not sw friendly)

I eat low fat as I don't like fat it make me heave( I could never eat the fat off meats ) and after a year of really bad stomach acid / indigestion / constantly belching and aching etc . It's the only way to keep that calm for me .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.