Fatigue!!!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Graves (Hyperthyroid) a little over a year ago. I've been on 15mg of methimazole. I lost 33lbs before diagnoses and after starting my meds I felt great. I wish I could say that now. I feel awful. I'm always fatigued and seem to be in a fog all day. Its really making it difficult to go to work let alone concentrate when I'm at work. When I get off I have the desire to do absolutely nothing. Within the past year I've gained over 30lbs. I'm sure this is contributing to my fatigue as well as the Graves. Does anyone have suggestions for energy enhancement?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Basically I think that you are now overmedicated. It is a long road to finding the correct dose of thyroid meds. Those of us who take thyroid medication are trying to mimick the actions of an exquisite master gland, the thyroid.

I have hypothyroid and my cat has hyperthyroid!

My cat was put on Carbimazole and overmedicated. She slept 24 hours a day for a week, didn't want to do anything and put on weight. I realized she was overmedicated so I cut back on her medication and she is now normal.

So my advice would be is to cut back on the methimazole a bit and slowly until you begin to feel normal again.

We are the oposite on this site (Hypothyroidism), we get undermedicated and we have all the same problems as you have. We have to increase our doses. You will have to decrease yours. It does take a long time because each change in meds takes about 6 weeks to take effect, but keep badgering your doc and keep him in the loop as to your dose. It is easier to reduce your dose than it is for us to increase ours because we have to beg and argue to get more meds when our doctor wants to decrease our dose (because our TSH is usually very low).

• Posted

Thank you so much for the advice. I will start decreasing my meds and hopefully I will feel better soon.
  • Posted

Hello Michelle:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1987.

When you are on Carbimazole or Methimazole it reduces thyroid production down!  It may take time (but your thyroid has been slowed too much) for it to recover.

Methimazole doses go from 5mg to 20mg and sometimes higher if needed.  So you can ask your  doctor to stop or lower the dose the Methimazole that would be option #1.  I would do this one.

Option #2, is more severe and that is to remove a part of the thyroid to be permanent and keep your thyroid levels in check.

For energy:  Avoid Gluten, have a B-12 injection, keep vitamins in the body good and all minerals such as Potassium, calcium, magnesium, sodium, ferritin and iron.  Have a cortisol and blood glucose levels done.  Many of us get adrenal gland  or even Diabetes from a thyroid condition.

Eat good foods and avoid high carbs.  Do walking or some gentle exercise it helps the body with weight.  I do walking for 30 mins a day.  I lost 32 pounds over time.

Give yourself some time once you get off the Methimazole and or a reduced dose of it to recover from it.

Any questions just ask,

Shelly

• Posted

Thank you so much. I get lab work every 3 months. I don't go back to Doctor until mid April. I'll give them a call to see if I can come in earlier in hopes I can get my mess lower. Fatigue is ruining my life. I'm barely making it through work everyday and catch myself falling asleep at stop signs or red lights. My husband purchased me a treadmill for Christmas but when I get home I don't have the energy to get on it. I need help ASAP.
    • Posted

Do get your vitamin and mmineral levels checked prior to taking a multivitamin or getting a B12 injection as you need to know what the baseline levels are.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.