Fatigue

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am not sure I understand everything about the testing for the thyroid.  Will some one explain this --tsh ?  I am hypothyroid.  Presently taking 125mcg of synthroid (generic).  I woke up from a nap sort of shaking & legs feel wobbly.  I said before I had been on 100mcg.  I think maybe this is too much.  I feel weird.

Doc told me few minutes ago to alternate between 112 & 125 any thoughts?  So tired too.  Thanks.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello  Marie:

I am a Nurse and live in the USA and suffer with Hashimoto's Thyroid disease. Here is a brief introduction on how it works.

Your thyroid gland makes 2 hormones called in short T3 and T4,  and it also works to make another stimulating hormone called TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone). When your T4 level drops this stimulating hormone which acts like a METER, sends a signal to your brain and back & in short it says "make more T4."  

Now the thyroid gland has blood tests one is for T3 and also one for T4 and then the stimulating hormone which is "TSH"  and it helps to tell the doctor see how your thyroid is functioning.  It is an indicator of how the thyroid is doing with the replacement hormone.  It is not good to just rely on the TSH level, and the levels of T3 and T4 should be tested also.  TSH is just an indicator tool.  When you take the replacement hormone your thyroid converts it from T4 to  useable T3 and the TSH lets the doc. know how it is working.

The gland is complex and works along with your Pituitary gland in your brain to keep your gland in good shape.  It is a VERY IMPORTANT gland and sadly it does not grow back or heal itself if damaged.  Also they are unable to transplant it into another person, so they made a pill that replaces the hormone.

Take your thyroid med each day.  Your body needs it. Also make sure your minerals like iron, potassium, magnesium, calcium, and Vit D, etc...are in good shape because we need the help of minerals to help our thryoid med work well.  I hope this helps.  Shelly

• Posted

Thanks Shelly.  How did you get the problem with your thyroid? I have never had a number like 10 while taking medication.   As I mentioned too many times, I am so tired & dealing with vertigo that s been with me for 9 months.  It appears to be improving.  Were lucky to have you on this site. Today my legs ached. And I felt so nervous too.  There you have the latest.
    • Posted

Hello Marie:

I was a teenager when I first noticed weird symptoms, like feeling COLD all the time.  I also was having constipation, and irregular periods.  I was not tested as a teenager because back in the 1970's they never tested  young people.  They do it today, and we know more now than we did before!

My form of thyroid disease is autoimmune (Hashimoto's thyroid disease),  and makes me on the low side.  I spent years undiagnosed and when I was in Nursing School a professor noticed the goiter and I went to my GP and he ordered blood work.  I later found out that an aunt on my Father's side had Hashimoto's but much later and after her pregnancy.

It can happen at any age.  Young or older., it also tends to hit women more than men.  Some research has discovered that the Epstein-Barr Virus can damge the thyroid gland.  The research shows that it may cause people trouble way after the virus is long gone.  in my case, family history of it, seems to be a factor.  After I got it, my older sister got tested and she has it also.

Vertigo can be from lot's of factors.  Enviromental, Diabetes, Inner ear problems, Eye problems,  High blood  & Low blood pressure and even Low blood sugar levels.  You can get a medication called "Antivert" and it will calm it down.  My hubby has it also and it works on him well.  Please move slowly and take it easy.  Call your doctor and ask him/her for meds if it worsen's.

Feel free to ask any questions you have.

Be well, Shelly

• Posted

Hi Marie, doctors tend to prescribe T4 according to blood results, rather than symptoms. It sounds like you could be over medicated with feeling 'shaky' and 'nervous'. How long were you on 100 for and did these symptoms arrive when the dose was increased? Keep a record of your symptoms and dosing of T4.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.