Fatigue

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am now 7 weeks post op from a TKR.  At my 6 week checkup the dr said I am doing fine.  I still tire so easily and have some anxiety.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

So interesting you mentioned this. I, too, just had my 6 week check today. I'm doing great, x-rays look terrific, I'm at 110 with my bend.....dr says I need to start living my life - - getting back into my regular routine. But I find myself lacking energy and feeling tired as well. I still have some swelling and my knee is still numb. So I assume my body is continuing to heal and that with that comes some lack of energy. I forgot to mention feeling tired to my surgeon so do not know if that's common but it appears you have the same issue. I also have burning in my knee - - not really terrible pain but just a burning. Do you have that?? I plan to start getting back to walking every day and exercising in the hope that I can slowly regain some strength and endurance. Glad I saw your post!! 

• Posted

My dr said fatigue and sleeplessness are common after TKR. He said they usually start subsiding about 8-10 weeks out. My energy level has improved but I still tire easily. I don't have the burning sensation in my knee. Pain is minimal but everything seems to get a little worse in the evening and I have trouble getting comfortable when I go to bed. I am no longer on pain meds but take ibuprofen. I am doing PT 3 times a week and walking and exercising on the other days. All in all I am doing pretty well. Best wishes in your recuperation.

• Posted

I'm interested that you're still doing PT when you're 8 - 10 weeks out?! My doc didn't seem to think that was as necessary for me as getting out there and "doing" to, as he said, "open up that knee". Do you really feel it's necessary for you to continue with the PT? Plus you're going 3X. Wow. I'm impressed. Maybe I need to consider continuing for myself. I'm having trouble getting more active so really have to push myself....even to go for walks. Just not a very active person normally but know how important it is now that I've had TKR. I totally agree that pain is minimal but more difficult at night. My doc explained that it has to do with your body trying to "shut down" in the evening. Best of luck to you and thanks for the info and for sharing your story. Nice to hear from others.

• Posted

I am now 7 weeks out.  My doctor has signed orders for me to do at least 12 weeks of PT.  Now into my 7th week and going 3 times a week.  He said the first 3 months are crucial as far as getting the knee at its optimal function.  He said the staff at the therapy center will do an evaluation after 12 weeks and let him know if they think I will need to continue with therapy after that.  I also do the exercises at home on days I don't go to PT.  He said I will have to continue the exercises at home "forever" or the knee will regress.  It's hard work but after going thru the surgery and all the pain I am determined to have the best results possible.  I don't know where you are located or what insurance you have, but you may want to pursue more PT.  I always feel better after the therapy.  Tired, but better!  Hope you continue to improve.  Nice to hear from you.

• Posted

I'm in northern Minnesota and do have access to very good PT. I think after reading your post that I will up my game in that regard. Had no idea that you can actually regress and that home exercises are forever. My surgeon really stresses being active each day but not so much the PT. Have no idea why that is. I'll definitely talk to my therapist as I'm scheduled again in another week. She did say I can cut back to 1X weekly. Where are you located just out of curiosity?

• Posted

I am in Virginia.  I used to live in MN in the Bloomington area. I have a couple of acquaintances that had TKR but didn't do the exercises once PT ended.  They are now walking with a limp and have stiffness in their knee. It's kind of discouraging to think you have to keep exercising from now on, but I guess it's a lifestyle change.  My right knee is in pretty good shape, but the dr said it is necessary to exercise it too to keep it healthy.  He stressed losing weight, doing the quad strengthening exercises, and riding a reclining stationary bike.  I am just now at the point where I can do a full revolution of the pedals on the bike.  They make me ride it at least 8 minutes each time I go to PT.  I was able to find a used one to have at home at a sporting goods store that sells used equipment.  Some days here this summer it has been too hot to go and walk (90+ degrees and high humidity) so I use the bike.  Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks much. Small world that you used to live in MN. We live on a lake in the Brainerd lakes area. I'm actually taking your advice and going to get back into my home exercises. I do have a bike at home - - not the conventional type as at PT - - but it has the paddle type pedals and chair type seat. I'm able to make a complete revolution using it but not the one at PT as yet. Thanks to your encouragement I'm hoping to change that the next time I go to PT which is next week!!! It's been great to meet up with you. I'm scheduled to have my left knee done the end of September so wish me luck. Hopefully it will go as well as my right one. Then I for sure have no excuses for not exercises both sides. LOL. I guess this is what retirement is all about. Fortunately I have Florida to look forward to in the winter. Take care. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.