Fatigue and Blurred Vision on Prednisone with ulcerative colitis ?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been prescribed Prednisone for my ulcerative colitis with 40 mg per day with 5 gms tapering off per week for 4 weeks. The first two weeks I could cope up well but since the past few days (3rd week) when I'm on 30 mg a day I'm feeling extremely drained out and especially annoying is the blurred vision and fatigue leading to minor diplopia. I've asked the doc for advise and he has told me to switch the timing of the steroid in the mornings vs end of day.

Is there anything that can help? any advise?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

They are both quite common side effects of higher dose pred unfortunately - some people turn into the Duracell Energiser Bunny, other become fatigued and that tends to happen as you reduce the dose and the energiser effect is less.

Sorry - I don't quite understand what you mean: were you told to take the pred at night - that is VERY unusual as it is more likely to disturb sleep patterns and also has far more effect on adrenal function than when taken in the morning. And will you then remain on 20mg as 5mg per week taper for 4 weeks doesn't take you to zero?

By the way, this forum is for polymyalgia rheumatica and giant cell arteritis so although we all take pred few of us will know much about short term use of pred for other things.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I absolutely cannot take it in the mornings. The anxiety attacks are very hard to deal. Body starts trembling and the worst hard to deal with is the double vision. Hence I have it mid day and the doc was ok with it. The taper down is to 3 tabs a day with 15 mg and then to 0. I'm currently in the end of my third week with 6 tabs a day of 30 mg a day.

• Posted

Trying to attach the image of the dosage.

Moderator comment:I have deleted the links to the images as they went to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. Users can upload images directly to this site by using the image icon at the top of reply boxes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.