Fatigue and Bronchiectasis

Posted , 9 users are following.

Since coming out of hospital 5 days ago I am more exhausted/fatigued than ever, this morning a short walk from the supermarket back to my car after also walking around the store left me completely wiped out and by the time I got home all I wanted to do was sit down and not move (it was the same yesterday, worse today)  headache, light headedness to boot,the headache is awful and made worse by coughing....miserable

Is this normal?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Margie,

Are you doing execercises ? 

Have you been shown?

or breathing exercises to clear your lungs before you

go out?

• Posted

Hiya,

With BX fatigue is the norm as the couching is really what will wear you down,so just getting out of the hospital take it slow for a while and do some moderate excercise when I got out of the hospital I was doing our stairs in the house 3 times a day for about 10 to 15 mins each day and progressed more each time if felt the need,but as we all say you need to clear your lungs so stay focused on getting that done each day.

Best.

• Posted

Normal for some Margiesgirl (it would appear to me from following this forum), but not for everyone. We bronchX sufferers are all different and I am guessing that lots of moderate sufferers like me don't bother posting on help forums like this.

My tiredness fatigue is not a daily event - comes and goes and rarely extends to the level of exhaustion you describe. I would estimate (very broadly) that I experience tiredness/fatigue for typically less than 2 hours once very 3-4 days, that extends to what I would describe as exhaustion only once every two weeks. Its not evenly spaced like that implies - tends to be concentrated in periods when I am feeling on edge of an infection. Of course if I have a full blown infection then tiredness to exhaustion can be a daily event (but is not constant throughout the day).

So tiredness is not a curse for me (and neither is coughing), but I recognise it is for some sufferers and hope I can put off the day that the more extremes of the condition arrives for me.

I have given up trying to understand any pattern to the randomness of the shades of how I feel. In particular I quite regularly (say monthly) get an uptick in the flags of infection (one or some of sputum volume and colour, coughing, tiredness/exhaustion, breathing less cleanly, wheezing, sleep disturbance, headaches, fever/temperature control issues, lethargy) which makes the condition a bit more than an irritation. That can then give me a period of anything from 1 day to a couple of weeks where I feel a bit grotty at times. I don't rush for the enhanced antibis "rescue pack" (I take azithromycin prophylactically 3 times a week) until I get several flags coming together and that seems to happen twice a year on average. Then I can feel ill and sympathise with others who feel that way on a more regular or even semi-permanent basis.

I do of course do all the right (ie recommended) things*. Daily exercise (swimming/walking/gardening); daily lung clearance (simple approach of 15mins once-a-day lying flat breathing and exhaling deeply to stimulate coughing up); good diet/weight control; no smoking. I'm lucky in the impact of my bronchX but I'm sure the basics of lung health can help every sufferer. It maybe that I also benefit from living in a rural area (of Thailand where the weather is helpful - ie warm) and not exposed to crowds/urban public transport on a regular basis.

*Not 'Mr Perfect'. Occasionally drink more than moderately when out with mates and regret it the following day - stupid, given that immoderate alcohol intake nixes the effect of antibis! 

• Posted

My pulmo banned me from walking for months after a number of I cidents where I'd walk the dog, feel fine, and 2 hours or so later be in the ER. Later he said I could start walking 1 minute, 3 times daily, double at 3 weeks, double at 3 weeks, etc. I was permanently banned from my stationary bike, but It's high tension & can't be adjusted. A year later I work out in an indoor pool for an hour or more 3 times weekly, but I can't swim much of that time. There are treadmills in the pools and I do 10-20 minutes and tons of exercises.

If you have to, walk in place at home, hang onto chair or wall if needed. Build up to 5 minutes 4 times daily, then do 2 longer indoor walks. Grocery shopping you were not just walking because you had to bend down, reach up, push or carry a basket, etc.

• Posted

I know these flare ups take a long time for us to recover from. My consultant has said to me...but you've been very poorly for a long time, it will take time for you to recover. This is when I expect to spring back in a couple of days!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.