Fatigue and excessive thirst

Posted , 6 users are following.

(I am a 22YO male)

Back in January, I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety. While I think the diagnoses were correct, I can't help but feel there's something physical going on as well. My depression and anxiety were largely brought about by my inability to get much done, which came from being tired all the time. I know fatigue is a symptom of depression, but I've been feeling better recently and still, no matter how much sleep I get, I'm tired. I've always gotten tired easier than others, but I feel like that's been exacerbated the last couple of years.

My other main symptom is thirst. I can drink bottle after bottle of water and still feel thirsty, and if I go even a short time without hydrating I get exhausted even quicker.

I've gotten a couple of tests (folate, Vitmains B12 and D levels, and tissue transglutaminase) and all have come back normal.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Could this just be my depression/general make up? I've heard thyroid problems as a possibility, does anyone know if my tests covered that? I've also seen some of my symptoms correspond with Diabetes. Is that something my doctor would have checked as with a simple blood test and ruled out, or would I need a special appointment/test? Does Chronic Fatigue Syndrome make sense given my symptoms?  Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Fatigue and thirst can also be a sign of diabetes. Hence do get that test done.
  • Posted

Have you had blood work for thyroid? Blood work for diabetes? How about iron? Are you anemic? Have you been checked for sleep apnea? Or any other issue?  I'm always tired, have sleep apnea, I'm always out of breath, have other health issues, take a ton of meds, overweight, and now I have teeth issues.  So, I know how you feel!    But I am 67 years of age!              

• Posted

I second what the others suggested. Ask your doctor for thyroid tests (TSH, T3 and T4), ask for iron and iron binding capacity, ask for blood sugar tests (which should have been covered in CBC but there are more tests to be run like glucose tolerance test etc. None of those are pointless given your symptoms. Although the likelihood is high that this is all attributed to depression and anxiety, it is always pertinent to first rule out the usual suspects.

How are you managing your depression and anxiety? Are you getting any treatment/counselling etc?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.