Fatigue and increased us of antibiotics and steroids.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Bronchiectasis 6 years ago and had not much trouble at all until I went on a hiking trip on the Pacific Creast Trail15 months ago. A month after coming back home I began with a strike of respiratory and sinus infections along with rather profound fatigue. I have had sinus surgery and my CT scan revealed no change in my Bronchiectasis. I Exercise everyday and take my medications as ordered, eat well and quit smoking in 1988. My home is rather clean and I use air filters and change my AC filters every 6 weeks. Question is Im still having some fatigue and chroic infections ever month to six weeks.

Can anyone share any experience that might shead some light on what has happend to me in the last 15 months.

Russ

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi From Australia, the only advise I have for you is keep clear of not only dist but mould. I discovered via a friend with a totally unrelated illness about the dangers of mould, especially the hidden kind. Since my talk with Gail, I regulary wash down the bathroom with a mixture of...4 drops of Clove Oil, dishwashing liquid and water. Put all into a spray bottle and apply, leave for a few minuets and wipe over. Remove dust regulary from behind picure frames, tops of doors and cupboards. Hopefully this will help your breathing. Why you were fine up until the Pacific trip I don't know, only to say that I was a missionry in the South Pacific, from 200-2004, we lived in freezing conditions in the highlands, and mould everywhere. I suffered 4 bouts of double pnumonia and ended up with this dreaded decease diagnosed 2015. Life has never been the same.
    • Posted

Pamela, thanks for tip about mold. I will check that out. I like clove oil. Bronc seems to be perhaps a genetic disease in some cases I have read. For me I think perhaps my illness came from all of the Pneumonias and Bronchitis I have since age 12. I'm 68 now. On the the other hand, I was not having any problems until I went on the hiking trip in California last year where Valley Fever, a fungal infection, was prevalent. Pneumonia, like you say in your case, may be the culprit.  Thanks for sharing your journey with this illness. Look foward to emailing with you in the future.

Best

Russ

• Posted

Hi Russ

I'm sorry to hear your not able to get on top of your infections. Do you know what bug/bugs you are growing? I've had bronchiectasis for about 30 years (I'm 47) and always managed it fine & like you kept fit and eat healthily but once the pseudomonus bug got into my lungs about 7 years ago things changed for me to i.e fatigue & constant infections so I now nebulise anti biotics twice a day, use hypertonic saline (nebulised) twice a day as this bug rarely leaves you once you get it so it's all about managing it & whereas I used to run 4 times a week I no longer am able but I do keep as active as I can. When there's high levels of pseudomonus and infection is bad I have intravenous anti biotics (which I now do myself at home). I still get extremely tired some days so I rest up (sometimes I have a day in bed) & that sets me up ok for the next few days. I no longer work as the disease is so unpredictable.

Not sure if this info helps but this forum is great for advice.

Take care

Rachel

• Posted

Rachel, Im glad I haven't had Bronchsis for 30 years. I can imagine how it has effected you, but Im sure I am not right. At the same time you have managed with it since you were 17. Very good on keeping your self well for a long time. I have only had it for 6 or so years.I was interested in rountine of meds that you take at home.I am still having to see a doctor once and awhile for antibiotics and steroids.I have  a staionary bike that I use 3-4 days a week and also do weights and stretching daily. I do hope you doing ok from now into the future. Please keep me posted.

Best

Russ

• Posted

Russ,

I didn't have any lung issues until in my late 30s.At that time, we had our house built (don't know what kind of materials the contractor used), and a year or so later, I started taking college courses (stress).  It was then that I started with a cough that wouldn't go away.  Was diagnoised with allergies, then it progressed to COPD, 2 yrs ago a CT scan showed Bronchiectasis.So I have always wondered if it was the chemicals in the materials in the construction of the house or the stress of a housewife with 3 kids and school work that may have triggered the offset.

I'm doing all the things that you are doing, but when I get an infection, it really affects my energy and appetite level,  Just last week I would hit the bed by 7pm didn't want dinner. Fortunitly, Im now retired.  Im now on a long term antibiotic.

You will get a lot of feedback from this website.

Beth

• Posted

Beth, thank you so much for your story. From what I have read, doctors are not sure about the causes, but I know that your idea about the materials in your home is perhaps a culprit and the stress of raising children. I am glad you seem to be doing  well after I'm guessing 10 tto 20 years. The fatigue for me has just, in the last year, become a problem. Before that I was perfectly fine. I'm glad we have this site. I feel more confident now that I am hearing from the different members about their stories. It's like we are a club all our on. I was a nurse for 30 years so was looking at this from an objective medical role. Now I'm the patient. If you come across anthing that you find interesting please let me know and I will do the same.

All my best

Russ

• Posted

Russ,

I was feeling so bad for so long, that I started wondering what people with this illness do, am I missing something that even the doctors don't know?  This website is a life savor.  You get support when you feel like no one else knows what you are going thru. You get tips on keeping healthy, etc.

I take turmeric every day, I had my doctor put me on a long term low dosage antibiotic and I take Manuka Honey every day. Tips I got from the people on this website.

In the 2 months that I have started doing those things, I have felt better and so far this winter I have not had to have a bronchosopy, I had 5 bronchoscopies  last winter.

• Posted

Elizabeth, glad to hear of your treatments and will give them a try.  I'm so glad you are feeling better. Will let you know if they help me.

1 bronc vs 5 broncs. That's what Im talking about. Keep me posted.

Best

Russ

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.