Fatigue and Numbness from Sinusitis?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, 

First time posting here. Wanted to see if others experience what I have been experiencing to understand if it is a result of sinusitis or if it could be from something else.

So, I have been diagnosed with chronic sinusitis (and have a deviated septum) and have been recomended surgery as it has been 4 years with the condition now. However as of late I have beeen feeling the following:

- Extreme fatigue during the daytime

- Breathing feels very short as if I am not getting a full breath in and that it is somehow getting blocked halfway through inhaling

- Throat gets tight and feels the same exact thing as when they spray a numbing spray on it

- Difficulty thinking and talking

- Feeling of weakness in fingers and sometimes in toes

- Just generally feeling extremely weird like I'm not at my full self, I can barely focus on anything and I feel extremely irritated on some days (not every day)

- I sometimes feel some relief when I burp as if something was stuck and was released.

I figured maybe all these issues are because I'm not breathing properly? Has anyone else had experience with this? When I reasearch online about my symptoms the results I get back are more about MS than about Sinusitis, however I dont see how that relates.

I also have GERD, so sometimes that can affect the way I feel from a breathing perspective too.

Any insight and help is highly appreciated!

Thanks!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Welcome. You're having a really tough time of it. Not got much to add I'm affraid but hang on in there. My fatigue is mainly due to not getting enough sleep though I'm trying to work on that. Also what meds you on for GERD. I'm on 15mg Lansoprazole now but had been on 30mg. Had read in some palces that this, Omeprozole and the other PPIs in the family have been linked to sinus problems but its rarely mentioned by doctors.

Hopefully someone on here with more experience will shed some light on it for you.

Kenneth

• Posted

Hi Mike! Do you suffer with anxiety? The combination of your symptoms sound like it could be that? Have you had an MRI to rule out anything else? Can I ask, I have chronic sinusitis and suffer from almost constant pain. Do you???
  • Posted

Hi Mike - Like you, I also have Barretts Esophagus (GERD) and came down with a doozy of a sinus infection back in December. I thought I got completely rid of it but it hit me twice as hard on the rebound during mid March. Difficulty swallowing from very dry mouth and the air has been very dry for the northeast. I also suffer daytime fatigue while I'm dealing with this sinus infection. I catch myself falling asleep right at the kitchen table. It's a battle to stay awake. The only time I have no problems staying awake is when I go to bed. Then I struggle to get a good night's sleep. Ken brought up a good point about the Omeprozole. I was taking 40mgs of Pantroprazole for my GERD. Although it was a godsend for my reflux, it raised hell in quite a few areas. Increased diet, weight gain, sore joints, especially arthritic joints and now, possibly the cause of the original sinus infection going back to December. I stopped the med in Mid February but was still battling the difficulty swallowing, dry throat and mouth and fatigue. As far as shortness of breath. I have suffered with that off and on. I realize I have an anxiety condition and I believe most of that is attributed to that. I also realize that when I can't completely breathe through my nose and do a lot of mouth breathing, it feels like I'm losing my breath, or have a shortness of breath. Have you ever been checked for sleep apnea?

Your concerns strike a chord with me. I would document your symptoms and occrences and let your doctor know. A CBC and other tests can rule out a number of things. Not sure what age bracket you fall under but I'm in my mid 60s and never thought I would have such a bad sinus infection with a razor blade sore throat and bad earache. I bought a Sinugator and have used it once. It did bring relief and never thought I would be one to put anything up my nose.

Best of luck to you and don't be afraid to bring all your concerns to your doctor.

Glenn

• Posted

Mike, a lot of these symptoms mimic anxiety and stress. Dena
  • Posted

A resounding YES. I deal with all of these things.
  • Posted

It's not "anxiety" it's the infection triggering all of this crap. yes sinusitis can cause full body symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.