Fatigue and osteoarthritis ?

Posted , 39 users are following.

Can anyone contact me who have the same problems please? Fatigue seems to connect with inflammatory arthritis but I have not been diagnosed with it, only(!!!) osteo but, fatigue has a great part in my life and I would like to know if if anyone has the same symptoms

7 likes, 108 replies

108 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi

I have OA in my ankle {accident...5 yrs ago} but before that I had and still do....have OA in both hips, lower spine, and neck {wear and tear as GP's call it}  I've had 2 hip replacements and the last one in Jan....4 weeks later I fractured a bone {greater trochanter} which they can donothing about, they say it will heal itself. 7 and a half months later I'm still on 2 crutches

Thats beside the point. I've always been tired and had to push myself to do things but recently my legs have been very heavy and I'm finding it hard to put one foot passed the other.....a lot other joints as well.

Anyway...I had to see the orthopaedic consultant onMonday to do with the fracture and I mentioned the heavieness and he looked back at previous notes from GP's and after askinbg a few questions he said thats not just tiredness thats fatigue and its your bloods that are respeonsible.....like i say he was look ing back at GP's notes on the computer and he said your Vit D level is very low {I've been put on tablets since they discovered that} your iron levels are low {I'd just been prescribed iron} When he dictated a letter to the GP one of the thigs he said was he wanted my bloods monitored regularly that it was very improtant.

So thats my input about fatigue

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Eileen  It's Carol here in Greater London.  If I remember from when we were last chatting, you now have osteporosis.  Whether that's to do with low vitamin D I don't know.  If you remember I too take VITD3 and have osteopenia.  They were orginally presecribed by gp.  The consultant last year if I was not on VD then should be.  Only thing now is my surgery won't prescribe any supplements Vitamins, iron etc. so I

have to now buy them myself.  my gp  says she would like to because of the osteopenia and what the consultant said, but the partners wont allow it.  She had tried putting back on repeat but it is taken off before the prescription is issued.  Cost cutting eh.  Hope you feel better soon. Keep in touch Carolx

• Posted

Quick question Eileen - if your GP notes contained information that your Vit D and Iron levels were low, was nothing said to you or done about it at the time?  Why did it have to wait until someone else, ie the ortho, spotted it and acted upon it?  These kinds of situations are really unacceptable to us the patients arent they.
    • Posted

Hi Carol

I remember wink

I didnt take Vit D3 when I had osteopinia....well just shortly before I was diagnosed with osteoporosis and that was only because I asked for a Vit d test

Its all cost isnt it?

What about going back to the consultant again and saying that she wont do what he is asking her to do?

My iron is very low {anaemic} so she has just put me on iron tablets. I saw the consultant at the beginning of the week and he said the fatigue was due to my bloods.....Vit D being low, Iron being low and a few other things....when he dictated the letter to her he said he would like all these monitored regularly....not sure what regularaly is?

I get copy letters so when I get that letter the next time I see her I'll ask her how often its going to be done. I know he did ask her to prescribe water tablets {because I got a copy letter} she didnt and I asked her why and she said she didnt believ in themfrown

In London you shouldn't have to buy them your self. Like I say try ringing the consultants secretrary {I find they are helpful} and tell her and ask her if she can pass it on to the consultant and what should you do

I cant get in touch with my consultant directly but if I ring the secretary and ask about something she emails him then rings me back with the answer

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Loxie

The order it happend in was......I heard on another forum about low Vit D and how we {people with arthritis} should be tested but it wasnt a normal thing. So I went to the GP asked her for a Vit D test please....she looked amazed and said Why? I want to know if the level is OK or if it is low. After a bit of "I dont know why" she did it, the tests came back low.

She did but me on a tablet and a once a week tablet as well.

Then I saw the consultant.....when I explained about the heavieness in my legs and body sometimes he said thats fatigue....then he looked at the bloods etc and said they are very low and asked me what I was on for them {not much} so thats when he asked {in a letter} that the GP monitor them regularly. To be fair I probably didnt mention the havieness to her...just pain. She is one of these GP's that says what thing {emphasis on singular} do you want to discuss today. I suppose that wasnt the most important thing.....the actual pain is. The at about 8mins into your appointment she is over at the door with her hand on the knob .......more or less.....goodbye...your time is up She doesnt actually say that aloud.

If I could see one of the other doctors in the practice I would but when you have multiple problemsfrown they like the one doc to see you all the time. I just happened to get stuck with her

Love

Eileen 

• Posted

We must have the same GP practice........!!!  I actually got told by the practice that I must only discuss one ailment on each appointment.  However, some things are directly related to others, particularly in the case of problems due to side effects, but not exclusively, so I fail to see the logic in not taking  wholistic approach to one's overall health.  The last time I visited the GP, this is the honest truth, they had started filling in the prescription form on screen before I even had my bum on the chair and I was in and out of the consulting room in four minutes flat.  That pressure on me makes me anxious and I know I don't relate my symptoms logically etc., I always leave feeling tearful and in low spirits that the appointment didnt achieve what I needed it to.  I go to a group practice and don't always get the opportunity to book the same doctor each time unless I want to wait over a month for an appointment and theyre all the same - under such time and cost pressure that's its a production line.  Oh to have say half an hour with just one doctor to sit and calmly explain everything in logical detail sad
    • Posted

Hello, Yes I know what you mean each appointment is for 10 minutes only

and you cannot always explain your symptoms when everything seem related to something else, also side effects as you mention.  I am lucky in that the gp I see is very patient I nearly always go over the time and feel a bit guilty about others waiting.  You could try what I did I wrote down everything that was concerning me asked her to read it and she booked me a double appointment.  It did help a bit but I still have a lot of unresolved questions.  I always see her even if I have to book in advance.

Can you book on line either on the day or in advance, that's what I do. No point in phoning at 8am as they say, if you can through there will be none left.  Hope you can get to speak to your gp and get a bit more time.

Take Care

Carol

• Posted

Hi Loxie

They sound the same dont they?

The only thing is unless its an emergency I'm supposed to book an appointment with the one doctor {My doctor} so you just have to wait.

I could understand it a bit better if we were asking  questions about completely different things. I have epilepsy {I never mention that becuase its well controlled with meds} but If I wanted to talk about epilepsy, then about arthritis, completely different thing that would be different......but anytime I go its all related, eg....pain/side effects etc

The other thing is she is against so many things.....The consultant at the hospital said he wanted me referred to a pain clinic and he would write and ask her to do it....he couldnt {something about funding etc} So I expected to hear from her about an appointment.......I got my copy letter where he had asked her to refer me to a pain clinic, I then got a telephone call. Make an appointment and come and see me!!!! I did and when I got there she said he wants you referred to a pain clinic....well its not worth iteek They cant do what they think they can do through lack of funds etc etc so that was it she wasnt going to refer me.....I said I would like to go please....but I've just told you they are not much good...I would like to go.....if it doesnt work it doesnt work....so what.....but it might work.

By this time she is at the door ready to open it.....I just sat therebiggrin didnt move an inch and she realised I wasnt going to so gave me a referral....choice of 3 hospitals on the form. I live in Northumberland, GP is in Northumberland, Hospital is in Northumberland and thats the one that wanted me referred....the 3 hospitals on the form were miles away, not in our helath authority, when I mentioned Northumberland she said no those are the only 3 we are allowed to refer you to. So I chose the closest.....got there and he looked at my notes and said Oh you're from Northumberland, out of our area you cant access all of our services unless your authority pay for them!!!!!!

I got home hopping mad.....rang Northumberland hospital and discovered they have a pain clinic there and she said why on earth wern't you referred here....ring her tell her to refer you or she can ring me and I'll tell her. I went to see the GP.....told her about Northumberland and she said {she is one of the highest docs in the group} I didnt know we could refer you there, I'll tell the other partners and secretarys......then she was over at the door again....I sat there....she said was there something else....yes please.....a referral to Northumberland.....You still want to go after all I've told you about pain clinics...YES so eventually I got there and they were a big help. It worries me that older people {I'm 68 cheesygrin} or quieter people would just accept what they were told.

Something she asked at one appointment {I forget} and did I agree....I said yes thats fine....laughed and said I would argue with you if I didnt.

She smiled and said I know I remember the pain clinic.....well you got to go to two!!!!!!!!

The first one I spent a fortune on taxis cancelled an appointment for that day  and had a wasted day and she has the cheek to say you went to two!

Sorry for the ramble

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Eileen,  One thing after another eh.  I have an appointment new referral on 25th.  The one last year who said about taking vitamin D apparently signed me off and wrote to my Gp and said refer if necessary.  She did ask for him again, but no I have been given someone else. So will mention it to who ever I see it (you don't always see them, usually one of their team).  Don't hold out much hope though.  My doctor as I said would be happy to prescribe them, it is the partners who won't pass it.  

With regard to blood tests I have to have them once a year this is mainly to check thyroid but they do everything else as well.  Maybe that's what he means or perhaps 3 or 6 monthly.  

You mention the water tablets it is like any medication it who depends who you see as to what you get according to their beliefs. Luck of the draw whether you are cured so to speak.

I have been given omeprazole for this reflux thing.  It has been driving me nuts with the mucus in the throat 24/7, a little better after 4 days of taking it.  It seems that I never get anything sorted before something else is added to the pot.  Having my toe nails cut this afternoon have to pay for that as I don't have diabetes or circulation problems £12 every 8 weeks.  Mort get his done free, as he has type 2 diabetes.  Have treated myself to a couple of things from Bon Marche, to cheer me up.

Hope you soon feel less tired.  Have a good weekend

Chat soon.

Love Carol

• Posted

Eileen just read your post to Loxie.  Good on you for not letting them fob you off.  I wish I was a bit more like you.  My husband is and says what he thinks.  He had the same trouble with this hearing aid saga.  Gp referred him to hospital he was already under.  Got letter to make an appointment was told can't help you don't deal with this hospital.  Doctor said it's a mistake only for new patients you can go to the local one.  Went to audiology was told he needed to see consultant and said they would refer him.  Heard nothing phoned and was told no we don't do that we have written to gp again.  They had received nothing, however suddenly a copy came through the post dated weeks before.  Eventually got the appointment when he went wrong department.  Had to start all over again.

as you know he saw someone last week, nothing wrong said they would refer him back to audiology for new hearing aids.  I told him to ring as look what happened before.  Today he rang and has appointment for next week.  All this going on since June.  I do hope they can help him to hear better.  I am fed up of him not hearing and he keeps saying I don't tell him things (I do he doesn't always hear me)   What is it they say about men selective deafness.  No He really does need better hearing aids. He says he is going to make a complaint.

Carolx

• Posted

Hi Carol

I book my appointments online but usually the doctor I'm supposed to see has quite a list so it doesnt need to be an emergency LOL As a partner she isnt always there...sometimes away at meetings.

So I just have to wait.  Ido write the thinbgs down in advance but no way would I give it to her.....she wouldnt make it out LOL and i just put bullet points down to remind me.

I've never had a double appointment with her...everytime I look at the appointments I'm lucky if there is one free LOL

It was great this morning.....at the hospital on Mon my BP was sky high and they said I had to go and see the GP not a nurse...my tablets would probably have to be changed.

My doc wasnt available  so I thought well lets take who is available I'm only asking her to check my BP.....she was lovely....New...because one of the other partners was in taking notes {assessing her} by the way my BP was back to normal {or what is normal for me LOL}

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Eileen, Just as a matter of interest what blood pressure tablets are 

you on.  I wonder as I am on Amlodipine 5mg, have been since 2007.  I have long suspected that they cause the nasal/ sinus problem and the latest throat mucus.  My Gp did say she might consider changing it next time I see her.  It is a calcium channel blocker.  They all seem to have lots of side effects the most common seems to be swollen ankles, get that in the evening sometimes too.  

Carolx

• Posted

Hi Carol

Good luck for the 25th

I tend to always see the same consultant....lucky that way because he is lovelybiggrin The same GP ...wish I didnt have to see her all the time but as they say multiple things so stick with the same doc!

I tend to have blood tests once poss twice a year...I know my BP is in May and December. Unless like the time at the hospital it shoots up and I have to go for an extra one.

Glad you are getting used to the omneprozol

I dont pay for my toenails to be cutquestion

Because of the arthritis and spinal problems i cant reach them easily and it was the previous GP I was with that got me on the list for that.

Its usually only every 2 months or so....inbetween times I file at them maybe one or two at a time LOL

Ohh what did you get at Bon Marche?? Tops?

Well I've been on the iron for 2 days now have to be on it for 3 months before I get another test and then she will see if I need to stay on them or what?? So legs are still quite heavy.

Are you doing anything nice at the weekend.....dont think I'm doing anything out of the ordinary.

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Carol

You read my post to Loxi.....you mean your read my ramble cheesygrin

They are awful for pushing you from one place to another. I hope your husband does get sorted out.

Are you sure some of it is not selective hearing biggrin

Most men are like that  lOL  I'm sorry I know its serious I really do hope  the hearing aids help.

Good for him complaining

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Carol

I'm on Lercanidipine....I dont think I've had any side effects from it

Its worth trying another one if your GP is agreeable

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Eileen,  No I don't usually read your other posts, just for some reason saw it and read it.  I will ask my gp about Lercanidpine, sounds like it is a calcium channel blocker which my one is.  Its awful I know I sometimes think it is selective hearing with men, but joking apart he has got trouble hearing.  When my daughter was last down he told me he couldn't hear what I was saying because I was mumbling, my daughter said no Dad 

she's not, so he i is obviously having problems, hope it's sorted soon.

I bought trousers and a new top they fit well. I like Bon Marche.  My

neighbours sister is in the North East and she does not pay for toenail cutting either.  Today when I got there they told me the clinic had been cancelled, as they did not have enough rooms, and that everyone had been phoned.  The receptionist said everyone was coming for their appointment and knew nothing about it.  I certainly got no call or message even though they said that was they were told we were all phoned.  I have another appointment next Friday.  I bought a top and trousers at Bon Marche. I like this shop.  We are not doing anything at the weekend, my daughter and grandson may come down, which will be nice.  

Have a good weekend, by the way did you enjoy your meal last week?

Love Carolx

• Posted

Morning Carol

It does cheer you up when you get something new doesnt it

I'm going into our Metro Centre this morning.....I'm looking for a top.....something not too summery but not a heavy jumper LOL

Needless to say I wont get it.....I never do when I go in with something in mind biggrin

I dont know if you knoww of the Metro Centre from your neighbours sister but it is great for me at the minute.

Its about 10 to 15 mins drive away from me. i've hired a scooter because its so large so I'll just drive about and relax this nmorning and window shop if nothing else.

I also go in on my own when Peter goes walking.....its dry and its flat and reasonably easy to walk on.....I just take my crutches and see how far I can walk.....can I walk any further than the last time in was in on crutches......dont do any shopping on thiose days....just an exercise and of course Starbucks or Costa. I have to have a rest halfway round.cheesygrin

I wonder why you have to pay for your toe nails and others dont? Have you ever asked your GP to send you to the chiropodist? Thats how I got it.....had to go on a waiting list but now with this fracture etc its a blessing.

Thats not good cancelling the appointment then covering themselves by sayinbg everyone had been called!!!!!

It will be nice to see your daughter and grandaughter

As for my meal....yes we had a great meal.....service wasnt great...it was slow but the food was nice and so was the company  LOL

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Good morning Eileen, It is a bit grey here this morning, perhaps the sun

will come out later on.

I do know of the Metro Centre it's in Gateshead, is that right?  My mum

in law was from there.  My neighbours sister is in South Shields.  I hope 

you find what you are looking for.  As you say if you go out with something

in mind you never find it.

Yes, we have to pay for toenail clipping it is under the fitter feet clinic

run by Age UK.  Under the NHS you can get it done free if you have

certain medical problems, like My husband type 2 diabetes.  I don't

so have to pay.  

Glad you enjoyed your meal.  We usually go out with my daughter and 

family when they come down from Bury.  The girls like Frankie and

Benny or a pizza place so we usually go there as they are only 2 and 6.

Don't know why but for some reason both my legs are aching this

morning, Mort always blames the weather on his hip pain.

Well that's about all.

Bye for now

Love Carol

• Posted

Hi Carol

Yes the sun has come out now. Yes the Metro in in Gateshead......much to big for me to attempt to walk around  LOL especially if I'm buying anything....not easy to carry when you have 2 crutches.

I wasnt in as long as I am sometimes....About 3 hours.

I got a top as well.......BHS.

I'm back to your toes again.....I wonder why we dont have to pay when we dont have particular diseases????? It was just a matter of havinbg great difficulty getting to thembiggrin

Yes we tend to go to pizza places.....When Peter and I are on our own we go to Frankie and Benny a lot....apart from anything else if its horrible weather there is one inside the Metrowink So drive inside to park {free} and its not far from there.....very handy.

I blame the weather on my pains as well but not this weather.....the damp, cold, wet or sometimes very humid weather ....I woke up with the usual pain in that fractured leg...took ages to get going.

Love

Eileen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.