Fatigue and weakness

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am on 8.5 MGM dsns technique. I have absolutely no pain. I am very fatigued ; what is the best way to manage exercise? In the past, if my muscles felt rather weak, judicious exercise really helped. The fatigue is rather new.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

It could be that you are getting to the point where your adrenal glands are having to get back into action after their holiday with a high pred dose letting them do nothing.

• Posted

As always - what you can manage. The fatigue now though is most likely to be your body catching up with adrenal function. Slowing down the reduction and patience are the key I think.

• Posted

so when you have fatigue, in general you should slow down the reduction, stay where you are until the fatigue lifts? i thought that fatigue was part and parcel of the illness, kind of a necessary evil in reducing...that eventually it would get better as your body resets...no?

i have fatigue almost daily (im at 5 1/2, using dsns, had pmr just over 2 years. thanks!

• Posted

Hmm. I'm going to have to closely observe OH when he gets down to 10 next March.

• Posted

Two different sorts: there is the fatigue of almost all autoimmune disorders and then the fatigue of the adrenal glands having to take up their task again.

• Posted

karenjaninaz, we are all a little different, but I am on 5 mg and I agree the fatigue is getting to me. I fall asleep in the chair almost every evening. My wife doesn't understand it, but I am starting to understand what people have been writing about. Just another episode on our PMR journey. Good luck on the rest of your journey, stay positive, active and try to smile. 🙂

• Posted

Karen, exercise is only 1/2 of the story. Recovery is the other half. Without recovery you will not make any progress and fatigue is one indication that you are not recovering completely. Try mixing up things and changing exercise routine, see if it helps. After good session it helps to take shower and take a nap 20-30 minutes to relax and help recovery.

• Posted

I was struck by the Deathly Fatigue at about 7 mg. As PMR symptoms were well controlled I carried on tapering, but only by .5 at a time. I didn't think it would be productive to hang about at a dose I didn't need for pain control because my adrenals would only learn to pick up the slack if I gave them some slack! As Eileen says, patience is the key.Be kind to yourself.

• Posted

I am contemplating continuing the journey down once I am firmly on 2mgs next week. I am following the DSNS method and feel as though the PMR has finally gone!!!! I only feel tired when I lack sleep and I'm beginning to wonder if I am over medicated which could be the cause of the insomnia?? I feel that I have definitely passed the deathly fatigue.

• Posted

how long did it take you to get over it? thanks!

• Posted

I'm definitely much better fatigue wise than I was, but I don't have the staying power I used to have. I also wonder if PMR has gone, but whenever I think that and try to taper again I start to flare. Not going to attempt another taper until the nightmare of our renos and move is over and done. In the new year! Currently at 2.5 although I've been as low as 1.5 in the past.

• Posted

I wish I could remember. I don't think it was too long but as we are all different I'm not sure that you would be able to gauge from my time. I do remember suddenly realising that I could do so much more and then thinking the adrenals are working.

• Posted

We seem to be similar because I reached 1.5 and had to up it but this time I am on 2. I have had a very busy past week with a lot of stress and unexpected exercise.....so far so good as I continue to reduce. I think it is prudent not to push the reduction when you have so much happening.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.