Fatigue if B12 below 550?

Posted , 2 users are following.

After a year of fortnightly venesections my Hb is 136 and my ferritin is about 100(it was 136 a month ago). The fatigue is little,if any,better. I keep reading that you can have fatigue issues if your B12 is below 550.Mine was 294 two years ago,which my GP considers to be all right as it is within range.However,being as they don’t know much about it I wonder what to do.People on here have said not to take B12 supplements,presumably because it can raise Hb and ferritin.Has anyone got anything they would like to add?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I occasionally take a yeast-free vitamin b supplement - it contains all of the b vits, not just b12. Definitely takes away my fatigue.
    • Posted

Thanks haircrazydaisy.I’ve just had a reply from the Iron Disorders Institute,who have told me that our normal range is out of flunter with some other countries. I think the American one goes up to 900 and I have been advised to have a B12 injection.Some people have trouble absorbing supplements,although they advise Methylcobalamin B12,which is quite strong.The lady felt like a zombie,but improved after her injection.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.