Fatigue- Low MCH, MCV but normal Hemoglobin

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am a 27yo M. I have been feeling tired in the past month or so. I would get exhausted doing things I had no problem doing before.

I had a blood test done few days ago and the results are listed:

WBC: 8.8k/ul

RBC: 6.18H

Hemo: 13.6g/dl

Hemato: 43.8%

MCV: 70.9L

MCH 22.1 L

MCHC 31.1L

The hemoglobin is on the low end of the spectrum. MCV and MCH is low. MCHC is slightly low. I asked my doctor and he doesn't think this is a case of iron deficiency because my hemoglobin is normal. 

But I am having second thoughts because I am feeling fatigued.

Any thoughts? Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It is indicative of Iron deficiency..  BUT..  your iron is not low enough yet, to cause your hemoglobin to become low too.   At this point, all you can do is ask your doctor to test your iron levels and maybe even your total iron binding capacity.  This will give you a clearer picture as to how much iron you have in your body.  You can start supplementing with an over the counter iron supplement or even eat more iron rich foods. 
    • Posted

Thank you Melissa.

I'm just wondering if my iron is not low enough to cause hemogloblin to be low. Does that mean that my iron level isn't what is causing me to be fatigued/ low energy?

• Posted

Your iron level could still be low and cause the symptoms you described, without your hemoglobin levels being low too.  It's just that it takes some time for the hemoglobin level to catch up with the low iron level.  Sometimes it never does catch up, but could just stay on the low end depending on how much iron your getting in your diet. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.