Fatigue self care

Posted , 5 users are following.

61 y/o male here. Generally healthy but I do have arthritis in my spine that limits me somewhat. I've always enjoyed the stamina of a much younger man. Today is 9/11/16. Late June of this year I started waking up with bad headaches and felt fatigue during the day intermittently. On 7/11/16 I started feeling what I now know was the trigeminal nerve pain. Saw doc on 7/12 and he gave me the shingles dx. Started famciclovir immediately. Rash got worse for a few days and saw opthamogist b/c it went to my eye. Rash healed mostly after 10 days but pain persists. Gabapentin, Norco weren't helpful. Motrin helped some without annoying side effects. The pain has improved to the degree I don't take pain medication but aspercreme with lidocaine helps. I can live with the pain at this point though I do have a bad day or two occasionally. About 10 days ago I started feeling tired after taking a walk if about a half mile. The fatigue has gradually worsened to the degree I'm feeling like I have the flu, but without the fever and respiratory crud. I fear I'm going have to take extended sick leave which I'm not keen on doing.

The initial fatigue I felt back in June went away but has returned in spades. Blood work came back normal. Dr. acts as though he's never heard of this and had no advice on self care for the fatigue.

I wonder if this is a harbinger for another but of shingles. I do feel some itching on the other side of my face but nothing serious. IF, it's indeed the nerve pain without rash, is it too late for another round of antivirals? Has anybody here had the fatigue and did rest make any difference? Ever heard of fatigue onset when the other symptoms are 80% better?

Thanks.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

David-so sorry you are going through this. I was diagnosed July 4th so right around the same time as you. I was very lucky to only have the shingles on my left arm. I still have severe pain in my hand and arm but nothing like it must be to have your eye affected and experience the pain in your head. I still have extreme bouts of fatigue off and on. Fortunately we have a family business, and I don't have to be at work every day. I rest as much as I can and sleep as late as I can. I am a very active person with three small grand children that I spend a lot of time with. I have been taking B12 capsules since my diagnosis with shingles. I think they help keep my energy level up. Every now and then I feel the strange tingling in my arm and wonder if the shingles and/or rash are re-occurring. My doctor did tell me to have the shingles shot in the next few months when I feel better. I'd like to know what others think about this before I proceed. Your thoughts?

FYI: I was originally seen, diagnosed and treated by my dermatologist. She was extremely helpful and had a whole different perspective on this disease than did my general practitioner. What type of a doctor has been treating you?

From what I have read and continue to learn about the shingles, it definitely takes its own sweet time to run it's course. Also, everyone seems to have their own unique experience. Praying you feel better soon.

• Posted

I'm 67 and tired all the time anyway...Mine started with a tenderness on the left side of my forehead at my hairline. A week later the blisters appeared. Went to ER for treatment as it was Labor Day. I am disheartened to see from this discussion how long the recovery is and that it would be best to rest. I too need to be on the job. Checking in with the eye doctor for followup tomorrow as my eye was involved. Have to get in touch with primary physician. Not used to all these appointments And all these meds! From the looks of these posts, you may be getting it again on the other side...can't take the vaccine until you are healed.

• Posted

Please ask you dry for the shingles immunization once this breakout has run its course. My dr gave it to me after my first incident with shingles. It lessons the duration and recurrence. It very important to manage it with the shingles immunization ASAP..
    • Posted

The shingles immunization is not given free unless over 70! I had shingles at the end of March and i am still suffering every day with an itching right eye, as it was involved . I had it in my head, forehead and eye! I also felt very tired months later, the worst time was just after the rash started to heal, I went through horrible times,pain with blurred vision, watering eye in the mornings so I couldn't focus for at least 30 minutes. I was surprised how long the symptoms can last for, I have been told it could be for a year!! I do not have pain now, just irritating eye on and off all day every day, despite eye drops and eye gel, Antihistamines do not work or help at all, there seems to be nothing drs can do! I have slightly raised marks on my forehead where the rash was,and sometimes that feels sore.and it still itches around the eyebrow area. I wish everyone on here good luck with this, as the complications are awful!! (PHN)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.