Fatigue withdrawing from mirtazapine

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi...

I have tapered off mirtazapine over a year. Am now 10 days off...

I tapered slowly down to 0.1ml liquid.

I was never brilliant whilst on the drug and had lots of days where I felt tired or generally unwell, hence coming off.

Now I'm off them, I have significant fatigue & low energy. Really tired and fed up. Most of the time...

Has anyone else who has come off the drug experienced the same tiredness? 

Thanks

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Dee,

Yeah that is one of the many symptoms I have unfortunately. It's probably the one that's caused me the most issues lately as you just don't feel like you contributing to life feeling like that.

Unfortunately I wasn't advised to taper as slowly as you and came off it quicker than I should have.

You seem to have try and come off it the right way so you might be spared a prolonged withdrawal period.

Wishing you well through this

Graeme

• Posted

Hi Graeme how long did it take for your fatigue to subside please? 
    • Posted

It hasn't subsided after 4mths Dee. It seems like it's gonna be like this until my withdrawal finishes, whenever that is! 

• Posted

But my experience wouldn't necessarily be your experience, everyone seems to go through various different symptoms, some worse than others, some quicker than others. There's no hard and fast rule for it.

• Posted

You're right, it's just a lottery as the first two times was on them years with basically no withdrawals and this time on them a week and it's hell!

• Posted

Gosh that's a long time... Yes I hope I improve a little

Quicker.

Like you say, you can't really do a lot other than take it easy when you feel fatigued. I'm spending a lot of time resting on the sofa... Generally feeling pretty crap, but just hoping it will all pass soon..:

Not easy when you have a 3 year old in tow! 

• Posted

Yes, I've stopped mirtazapine 3 times and had fatigue every single time, after the first 2 cold turkeys docs diagnosed me with fibromyalgia, I hate that med!

• Posted

What dose were you on and how long did it take you to taper to 0.1 ?

I am on 45 and at a 10% reduction it will take years to get to 0.1.

I d appreciate knowing how you did it. What was your taper schedule.

Thanks

• Posted

And did you have withdrawals whilst you tapered ?
    • Posted

Hi Sarah was on 30mg for a few years the first 2 times, think I went down to 15mg the first time for a week and stopped the second time I just stopped cold turkey and was very lucky both times as all I remember getting was insomnia slight nausea fatigue and feeling down, the third time I only took 7.5mg for four days and 15mg for three days and here I am in the third day of week twelve and it's getting worse x

• Posted

Must be something about that week 12 mark, that's when I started to get worse. Apparently it's pretty common... I'm hoping it's the eye of the storm and we're in on the verge of a breakthrough.... 

• Posted

Fingers crossed as can't imagine it can get worse, wanted to go the hospital today that's how bad I feel!

• Posted

Poor you- in what way are you feeling so bad? Hang in there x
    • Posted

Really hot then freezing anxiety fear doom headaches nausea backaches internal tremors crying all the time fatigue not sleeping well... I could go on x
    • Posted

I'm going through the same this now Toria. Was a bit better yesterday, today is a new hell! Keep saying to myself surely they don't let people just go through this?? 

• Posted

I really hope so.... probably really cranked up a couple of weeks ago. I know what you mean about wanting to go to hospital. That thought often comes in my head. Are you still eating and drinking okay? 
    • Posted

I've been nauseous since I stopped really but forcing myself to eat, how about you? Are you having waves of goodness?

• Posted

Yeah kept on eating and drinking even though I dont feel hungry. Got to keep the strength up! I had a wave this afternoon and I was hoping this was me coming out the other end, but alas it wasn't... Fatigue, tiredness have been a major player today. Might be side effect of new drug, might be withdrawals, but probably both! Has your day got any better?

• Posted

No, it seems to be getting worse to be honest, I've been on citalopram 10mg for years.

• Posted

Has it helped you? They told me it's one of the tamer drugs...

I'm sorry it's been a hellish day for you. Hoping it will be peaking for you. 

For some reason I always seem to get a bit better after 5/6pm. Weird. 

• Posted

I normally do too but last night was horrendous, to be honest I can't even remember why I'm on it, never had anxiety before the steriods, are you planning on taking it long term? Also I suggest you take it in the morning as I tried at night and couldn't sleep, it does have a side effect of nausea and you may have increased anxiety until it kicks in, hope it works for you!

• Posted

Thanks! 

See how I go, was planning  just to use over this withdrawal period, but I'll see how I go after that. Don't think I need them. 

Yes the increased anxiety has been noted a lot lately! Coming up for two weeks using them so hoping that will settle down soon. Anxiety on top of anxiety isn't much fun! Luckily I had started taking them in the morning as you said - thanks for the tip tho ;-) 

• Posted

No worries just be careful as ssri's are sometimes bad to come off so when the time is right do it slowly!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.