Fatigued

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi I'm a 45 year old mechanic and I have recently been diagnosed with R/A I've gone from being physically fit playing football weekly and going to the gym to being constantly tired and weak with constant pain in my feet.

Does anyone have any idea how to cope with the constant fatigue I'm feeling ?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Also what pain relief do you take.??

Maybe a trip back to see your consultant. ..might need to review your medication ....

• Posted

Andrew,

I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis and painful feet. I was diagnosed 3 years ago at age 53. After the initial shock of my diagnosis, I have been on 2 medications that keep my disease at bay for the most part. I was told that fatigue is part of the disease and the best way to get through it is rest. I have had to make adjustments in my life so I can nap if I need to, and I have found that it is very important that I take extra good care of myself when I am in a flare-up. Stress is a trigger for my disease, so I try to stay calm and not get too upset by life's circumstances.  Sometimes this is impossible, but I have found that I do have flares when I am very stressed. On a positive note, I am fairly fit, I walk an average of 3 miles daily and I am able to do my job, which is teaching pottery classes and making pottery in my studio. I wish you the best.

• Posted

Hi Andrew, I was diagnosed with RA almost 8 yrs ago and I would say I am still getting to grips with it now. I had always been active getting stuck into things without a second thought so coming to terms with the extreme tiredness has been really hard. I have learnt the hard way and now realise that I have to pace myself. Its very tempting to overdo things when you are having a good day. I a have done this many times only to be really quite bad for the next few days. Resting when you need to is really important although I still struggle to stop feeling lazy whenever I have to. I drive my husband nuts as he knows I'm not and says I shouldn't worry about what anyone else thinks. You have to do what's right and best for you and really learn to understand how your body works. My advice to coping with the fatigue is to pace yourself and rest whenever you need to. Sometimes when I've been completely zonked I've had no choice but to lie down and sleep, sometimes just an hour or so has helped and then I can carry on with the rest of the day. I have retired from work (not life!) now so its easier for me. Its obviously more difficult if you have a job to go to but good luck and I hope you find a way.
  • Posted

Hi Andrew

I am 36 and was diagnosed with RA 3 years ago. I too was very active, going to the gym etc. and have had to slow down alot (which is very difficult to come to terms with!) I get very tired and it is frustrating but I have Vitamin B12 injections every 3 months, at my doctors. They do take a while to get into your system but I find they help alot. Ask your doctor about them. Since having these injections, I have heard of lots of people having them! Good Luck :-)

• Posted

Hi Andrew 

I find the fatigue is greater when the disease is more active, which makes me wonder if you should contact your rheumy nurse or consultant to see if they can improve on your medication as your feet are so painful and it's important you stay in work. 

• Posted

I was diagnosed with RA just over a year ago and I found the fatigue really difficult to deal with, in some ways even harder than the pain. I went to a nutritionist immunologist and went on an anti inflammatory diet that cut out grains, legumes, dairy and the nightshade vegetables. I've stuck to the diet for almost a year now and the fatigue is completely gone - my energy levels are better than they have been for the past 20 years! I found that desperation gave me the will to try anything - the diet was a hard one to start with but I've got used to it now and I'll stay on it until I have no RA left. 

All the best of luck with your journey

• Posted

That s really interesting! I was diagnosed just over a year ago too and agree the fatigue is one of the biggest things to come to terms with and adapt to. Just the last 2 weeks I have been doing an elimination diet , which sounds to be the same as you describe. I thought I would do it 3 weeks and see. But I ve blown it a couple of times by eating a piece of cake!Should I restart absolutely strictly to see if I benefit? What meds are you on? I am currently on 3 DMARDS and just started a biologic drug as I have had a lot of swelling and pain. Does the diet help with joints or mainly fatigue? How soon did you notice a difference and does reintroducing a forbidden bring an immediate reaction?
    • Posted

Yes, I've been told to be very strict about wheat and gluten in particular. I make lovely cakes using ground almonds - look up 'paleo cake recipes' and you'll find some nice ones and they're very easy to make. Unfortunately you still have to miss out when you're in a cafe with a friend. Herbal tea and a banana isn't quite the same as coffee and cake but I find it's worth the sacrifice to be well.
  • Posted

Hi the same three months into eliminating all grains,dairy and caffiene, oranges and tomatoes. No pain within ten days . Yes if you have one piece of grain before the 30 days cleanse of the gut then the symptoms can come back and need to start again. Worth it to have no pain and medicine. Priobotic and omega taken for four months too .hope this helps
  • Posted

Hi, You could check if you are anaemic as apparently this is common with RA and makes you feel exhausted. The same with Vitamin D deficiency.

Apart from that I can only advise really pushing for the right medication and as much of it as possible!  after a recent steroid injection which dampened down the RA, I feel almost normal although I realise the effects will only last a few weeks. Before that I had been really struggling gor a few months as I have no choice but to work full time.  I was getting home from work and going to bed  2 hours later but the 'rest' was never refreshing and my painful  feet/ toes would wake me up frequently.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.