Fatty liver and losing weight too quickly

Posted , 2 users are following.

can someone tell me why it's not good for fatty liver if you lose weight too quickly? I have fatty liver and losing weight and excercising to try and improve it (along with my Type 2 diabetes).

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I am not sure if I can say exactly why, but my Dr told me that my rapid weight loss caused my liver to over work and is now making my enzymes go up.   I have had fatty liver for over 2 years and never had any problems until I dropped 40 lbs in 3 months.  Now my liver has enlarged and I am having gallbladder problems.   
    • Posted

I will have to ask my GP why when i next see him.  Although i am tempted to lose weight quicker than i am doing at the moment, i am trying not to and although very frustrating, my weight is going down slowly.  I have a long way to go but i am hoping it will help my diabetes and fatty liver.  I am doing the '8 week blood sugar diet' (Dr Michael Moseley) and 2 days a week are 800 calories only, i have only just started it so time will tell.

• Posted

Be very careful.  If you are an active person that is not enough calories to sustain you.   Especially as a diabetic.   Good luck and take care to stay healthy along the way.  It is not easy,  maybe a pound or 2 a week is a safe amount.
    • Posted

Thanks.  I have a sedentary office job so my excercise is quite 'light' ie i have a treadmill at home which i use for 20 mins each day and when i can i like to walk so i'm not really that active but a little is better than nothing.  Can i ask?  what is now happening with your fatty liver?  how have your doctors left it?  Did a scan show you have an enlarged liver? thanks.

• Posted

A scan did show an enlarged liver along with sludge in the gallbladder.  All the scans before my rapid weight loss showed my liver to be mildly fatty(can't think of the medical term).  After the weight loss it is enlarged, moderately fatty and my enzymes are 3x the norm.

• Posted

My GP said that there's no such thing as fatty liver, you either have it or you don't.  I get a mild discomfort under my right rib which radiates to the back under my right shoulder blade, do you have something similar?

• Posted

Yes I do but not all the time.  It comes and goes.  The gastro dr said it is my gallbladder.   I also get some discomfort right below my breast on the right side.
    • Posted

sorry meant to say no such thing as 'mild'  fatty liver.....

• Posted

Someone should tell that to the radiologist's who make the reports then.   A few years ago it said mild steotosis and in March this year it said moderate to severe.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.