Fatty Liver plus Gilberts Syndrome plus Gallbladder Cholesterol Polyp

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All,

Hoping someone can relate or help a concerned soul out 😃 ....

I was diagnosed with a fatty liver in January 2019, after having mildly elevated ALT and Bilirubin. After losing 13kg (sensibly and slowly) my bloods have all returned to normal EXCEPT for bilirubin which has always been around 29-31 umol. My doctor did a further test to breakdown the unconjugated (indirect) to the conjugated (direct) which shows majority of mine 77% of total bilirubin is unconjugated. The diagnosis of this was Gilberts Syndrome - a benign condition apparently.

Fast forward to today - I still have this mild discomfort in my RUQ which has never been excruciating, but is just nagging. I had an ultrasound two weeks ago and the consultant mentioned that I have small cholesterol polyps measuring 4mm. Should I be worried?

Can these cause my discomfort?

Should I get a second opinion?

Do I need surveillance for these?

Cheers.

Callum

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Just wondering also how a doctor can be so sure that it is a cholesterol polyp from an ultrasound, is this so?

• Posted

Hi. I had polyps which grew a tiny bit, so elected to have the gallbladder out. They turned out to be cholesterol polyps, so not worrisome, but did not want to have ultrasounds every six -12 months for the rest of my life. No facial flushing. God bless.

• Posted

Thanks for your replies.

Go a follow up and MRCP (an MRI which focuses on the abdomen scheduled) so hopefully will get further news. I got this more so to get a second opinion.

My current consultant (gastroentorologist) wrote 'these are of no significance' but for me that seems a bit flippant and surely requires a 6 month and yearly check at the very least.

Can these size polyps cause discomfort? It definitely is not a pain as to what I have read of some individuals on this forum.

Cheers.

• Posted

Booked in for this Monday coming so will feed back in once I know results etc.

• Posted

Hello Callum,

I recently had a HIDA scan which showed I have Gallbladder Hyperkinesia. I too have constant RUQ pain for about 6 months.

Prior to the HIDA, I had routine bloodwork and white cell count was low and I have high cholesterol.

I also had a Ultrasound because of the RUQ pain and they found a small 6mm polyp which I will need to follow up every year. But everything on the Ultrasound looked normal!

BUT, because I expressed my concern about having the pain, they scheduled the HIDA San which showed the Gallbladder Hyperkinesia.

I'm seeing a Gastroenterologist Jan 23, 2020.

Please keep me posted.

• Posted

Hi Deb,

I'll definitely keep you updated. I had on Monday an MRCP and got my follow up consultation with Gastro tomorrow. Will send an update.

I just would love to understand if this is a cholesterol polyp (as they believe it is) what is the guarantee that this is correct?

I may actually request the HIDA. Do they believe your polyp is a cholesterol polyp?

What is the treatment options for gallbladder Hyperkinesia?

Best,

Callum

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.