Fatty Liver vs. Cirrohsis

Posted , 5 users are following.

How do they tell?

I was told after my last bout in the hospital that drinking THIS time has affected my liver.  

I was told I had a fatty liver.

All I can surmise is that you have a fatty liver first and then if you continue to affect your liver with drugs or alcohol it turns to cirrohsis?

I have not been feeling well either....sugar fluctuating....

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Fatty liver, followed by fibrosis, followed by cirrhosis.

The only definitive way to tell is with an ultrasound, which can see the scarring that other methods miss. It needs a decent radiologist doing it, some miss things.

• Posted

I had an ultrasound last time..about 2 months ago...everything was fine.

The thing that was wrong this time...was my General Practicioner said this was the FIRST time that my liver appeared to be impacted by my drinking...and I remember my Dr. for Gastro mentioning fatty liver and telling me not to drink...that was 2 episodes ago.

When I drink I drink for 5-10 days at a time...

My Dr. I saw yesterday is on track....I should have asked her thou...what exactly was high and her thoughts.

But, she is so GOOD that she wouldn't let me get sick...she sees me 1x a month and that is atypical for GPs...at least in my area...my family members never go to Dr...except for yearly physicals.

• Posted

"I had an ultrasound last time..about 2 months ago...everything was fine."

There are good radiologists and there are average radiologists and it really depends which one you get. Your GP can only see the ultrasound he is given.

• Posted

It doesn't help that my Gastro Dr. is LEGALLY BLIND...LOL.

However, the colleges around here have developed a machine that he can use that gives him 20/20 vision...he has been certified to keep his license because of this equipment and HE is the most respected Dr in our state in his area of specialty.

He is always a guest speaker for big events..and in many medical journals around here....So, I totally put all my trust in him.

My mother constantly makes jokes about any results from his office and my "blind Dr.".  LOL

• Posted

I always thought that fibrosis was non permanent scarring,but when I look it up it seems to be classed with cirrhosis.
    • Posted

That is correct. Fatty liver is the only reversible stage.
  • Posted

RHGB is right.  You should see a doctor!  Are you still drinking?  You should stop if you can, whether it's fatty liver or cirrhosis...at least that's what I have been told.

Hope you feel better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.