Favorite low sodium recipes

Posted , 10 users are following.

I thought it would be fun to try to start a discussion for us to share our favorite low sodium recipes. I am interested in trying some new meal ideas.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I would love to read some folk's favorites! I wash all my cooked food which pretty much washes away the taste but that works for me.

• Posted

I need some low sodium recipes. Its so hard because everything has sodium.
  • Posted

Hummus is one of my favourite foods but is salt heavy. So i now make my own:

Ingredients

2 Tbsp Tahini

1 tin salt free Chickpeas

2 Tbsp Olive oil

1 Tbsp Cumin

4 Cloves of garlic

Juice of 1 and a half lemon

1 tsp fresh ground pepper

Whizz it all together in the food processsor.

I try and avoid processed foods as much as possible and swapped butter to unsalted. I also buy salt n shake crisps and dont add the salt bag.

Its during holidays and eating out that i find it hardest to limit sodium

• Posted

That hummus sounds WONDERFUL!

I am going to make it this week, thank you!

• Posted

It tastes odd at first, as do most low salt foods, and you may want to tweak the lemon, garlic and cumin to suit your own taste, but I love that i dont have to stop eating one of my favourite foods
  • Posted

I am regularly eating boiled potato with chick peas, green peas and corn and add mutton mince for taste, I really like that.
  • Posted

Hi,

Ive found it really difficult to find low salt foods but hedes a couple that im loving at the minite.

Homemade pizza, for the base i use a recipe from a spuntino cook book, just leave out all the salt, then for the sauce, just a tin of plum tomatoes with seasoning. Theres 0.1g salt in the whole tin so theres next to nothing on the pizza. Then just toppings of veg and chicken.

Not a recipe but seabrook do 'perfectly unsalted' crisps that are very nice.

Chicken, mushroom, courgette, pepper on skewers covered with paprika then a plain yoghurt with mint on the side to dip in.

Apart from that, a lot of salads and veg.

• Posted

You can also make salt free pizza base out of just natural yoghurt and flour smile
    • Posted

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your recipes. I have to admit though I am full blooded Italian and none of this sounds good LOL. But I guess we have to do what we need to do to not have attacks. cry

• Posted

True! None of it sounds good and life has changed for us as we know it so we have to make the best of what we are dealt. So let's PRETEND it tastes great! Anything to not be sick!  I had a 6 hour meltdown yesterday and had a hard time recovering from it. I am praying I can go a few days without another attack. They are killing me.

• Posted

Zuchinni lasagna use the strips of zucchini for the noodles...make your own sauce ground beef ricotta delicious.....ill find the exact recipe and send shortly...and no carbs!!!
    • Posted

Hello Bluesmann! That recipe sounds great! Let me know when you post it! Thank you very much!
  • Posted

Great idea,jeff37734! Thanks a lot sir!!!
  • Posted

I find now that if we go to dinner somewhere first thing out of my mouth. Omg this is salty. My husband has followed the low salt with me.  We use a lot of spices and we do use the Morton lite salt when it’s a salt taste must.   I don’t have any recipes,  We just eat a lot of veggies, meat, potatoes BORING salt free life lol
  • Posted

I do a low sodium stir fry tortilla. Brown thin strips of steak or chicken in very little olive oil. Add strips of green, yellow and red pepper, mushrooms, broccoli, onions or any veggies of choice. Stir and cook until done. Portion into a huge romaine or leaf lettuce of your choice and add fresh diced tomatoes and 2 tbsps lite sour cream. Roll it all up like you would a tortilla. About 14mgs of sodium per serving. If you use a low sodium flour tortilla instead of the big lettuce leaf it's a lot more sodium...175 to 320mgs per tortilla depending on the size and kind of tortilla you buy. There's no soy sauce or teriyaki so you sacrifice a little flavor but they're good!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.