Feacal incontinence at work

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a teacher and quite often experience feacal incontinance at work. I wear sanitary pads, and so have to dispose of these in the sanitary bins at school. All of the female staff have been sent an email saying that the company who clean/ change the bins have complained about feacallu soiled pads and can we all be more respectful and hygiene aware in the work place. I feel completely humiliated and embarrassed, but more importantly don't know how I can get round this issue as I can't flush such pads away or carry them home. Help or advice please!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm taking aspriso and it's like a miracle drug so far so good. I hope they realize this disease is horrible and you are trying the best you can ! How dare them ! People dispose diapers in rest rooms! Anyway I suggest carrying small bags for the napkins and then into the garbage ? 

• Posted

Thank you so much for your support- this is the first time I have used a discussion site- as I was too embarrassed to talk to friends or family. I will give nappy bags a go. 

So glad your medication is helping- I've not heard of this one.

Take care x

• Posted

This must be horrible for you. Remember UC is classed as a disability therefore your employer has to make adjustments for you, you could talk in confidence to your HR department, my suggestion would be  they give you a supply of small yellow (clinical waste) bags and somewhere to dispose of them. but if you don't feel comfortable I would go with the other posters suggestion of nappy bags, if you put these in the sanitary disposal bin no one will be any the wiser. I'm very surprised the collection company even know, the waste from them is incinerated not sorted through! Also have you spoken to your consultant? I would consider faecal incontinence as my UC not being under control and would want my meds reviewed.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your support. I think I will try nappy bags. It is a small organisation and so really worried that this issue will be linked to me amongst the staff. I feel exposed and ashamed. 

On the up side, I have just started on humira which I hope will make a big difference. 

Many thanks, take care x

• Posted

Please, please try not to feel ashamed, Squirt. You know, and we all know, that this is a disease and not something for which you are in any way responsible. Far from having feelings of shame, remember that you are dealing with a horrid, unpredictable condition and you are without question being extremely courageous in so doing. 

I'm sure we all send you our very best wishes for success with the Humira.

Luv and thoughts,

Peter A xx 

• Posted

Dear Peter,

Thank you so much for your kindness, this support from people who really understand really really helps. 

Kind regards x 

• Posted

Hi Squirt. This must be so wretched for you and I send you my deepest sympathy. UC is bad enough to start with, but having to deal with that level of additional distress is wholly unacceptable.

I agree with the other posters here and the idea of having a supply of plastic bags about you and arranging for a discrete place to dispose of them is the sensible and practical way forward. I certainly endorse the idea of approaching your HR department and at the same time asking to see your consultant to review your current meds.

All the very best for a successful outcome.

With thoughts and kindest regards,

Peter A     

• Posted

Thank you so much for your kindness and support. 

All the best x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.