Fear about weight bearing and heel pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all .i had trimalleolar surgery early September and have been told that bones ( scewed and plated) are healed and i can weight bear.

I'm in an airboot on a Zimmer and in a week im sure that consultant will tell me it's fine to to take it off.

I've tried to wean myself out , once i.found a pair of Velcro trainers to fit my now altered shape foot..

Two steps and I froze ...the pain that shot up through my leg was awful.It felt as if I was walking on a bed of nails.

I do have a screw through heel bone so maybe related.

I could not walk..my son and husband have turned into drill sergeants .

" Come on...work through the pain..think of soldiers who lose legs..you've only broken yours!"

I know they mean well but I'm a terrified lump of jelly.

I am terrified about walking..

I'm 61 , 5ft not some superfit gym bunny .

I don't know how to get over this. I'm listening to self confidence hypnosis apps..

I keep telling myself thatt I can do it ..but I can't i imagine how I ever will.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Good morning,

Do the Dr's have you signed up for physical therapy? Sounds like you may need some. GOOD LUCK!! Once I'm out of my cast and then my boot I'm nervous about the walking again part also.

• Posted

I was also very afraid to put weight on my foot. I had surgery on torn ligaments and chipped cartilage. Although cleared for partial weight bearing after only three days, I waited for two months because of the pain. As a result my ankle got very stiff and my achilles tendon shortened. Both conditions are improving with exercise and physical therapy. I found a walker very helpful because I can walk putting partial weight on the foot.

• Posted

a few things you can do to help with the pain under foot.. 1. get a tennis ball and roll your foot on top of it , the bottom of your foot will be sore when you first start doing it but will get better the more you do it. . 2. physical therapy will help with the pain as well because your doing excercises that strengthens the ankle. 3. ONE STEP AT A TIME

• Posted

I'm also not some super fit gym bunny, but I did it. πŸ˜ƒ Your family is right on this, you need to bite the bullet, go slow, and just do it. It sounds harsh, but you kind of have to suck up the pain with those tiny steps. You can use crutches to take some of the weight off the injury, that helps so much to start. You don't have to hop around, just a smooth motion of walking bracing with the crutches. I'm 7 months out, still hurts, but walking is the only way to get yourself on track again. PT was not super effective for me, just doing it was! I do however stretch and move my ankle constantly when sitting down, and massaging it helps lots. Great luck and don't worry, baby steps, literally.

• Posted

Ooh Christine I feel your fear and trepedation . I have a bimolleuar fraction of my right ankle that'll be a year this upcoming Jan. 2019. I'm 58 and had never broken a bone ever. I was scared from the words "it's broke." There months after the brake, surgery and 24/7 bed rest with the boot my doc said I could walk. imagine my surprise when I couldn't. I stood up and nothing happened. I was so angry, upset , disappointed and some more stuff. when I got to PT that's when she reminded me that as far as the doc was concerned there was no physical reason why I shouldn't be walking soooooooo now it was a case of mind over matter. It will get better... it does get better. Be diligent, follow doctor's directives, do your exercises and have a great PT!!! Blessing always! πŸ‘ΌπŸ½

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.