Fear of developing a serious disease

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 17. I've become worried about developing a crippling or paralysing disease when I'm older. I've heard about people that have suffered from these, and it seems like a fate worse than death. I don't have any immediate family that suffer from any of these, and I don't have any possible symptoms. It's just the fear of the fact that it could happen, and it's making me very anxious.

I would just really appreciate some advice on this matter, and some information on how to put my mind at ease around these anxious and irrational thoughts and fears. Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

What particular disease are you worried about getting? You talk about crippling or paralysing so do you mean something that will stop you walking or moving? People are supposed to "suffer" from a lot of diseases but more often than not the word suffer is used when people aren't suffering. I've got Type 2 diabetes which I am supposed to "suffer" from but I don't, I just put up with it and get on with injecting myself four times a day. Life is far too short for you to be worrying about getting some disease or other. If you are only 17 and are worried about being crippled or paralysed, when you hear about quite a few people of your age it's because they tried jumping into a swimming pool from a high balcony while off their heads on drink when they've been on holiday, or they've ended up like that from an accident rather than just getting it. As long as you are sensible and don't do stupid things I don't see why you can't go through life and never have what you're worried about getting. If, on the other hand, you mean acquiring a disease then sometimes it's pot luck whether you get something or not, these things just happen for no reason. We all know we're going to die at some point but if we all worried about it we'd be nervous wrecks. Be thankful that you have no immediate family with medical problems and you haven' t got any symptoms of anything either so I should forget about it and concentrate on what you HAVE got, a healthy family and a healthy body and only worry about things if or when the time comes. I know it's hard to do that but you may read on this website about all the people who Google symptoms and think they're about to die or have some horrible disease when they are probably perfectly healthy, I know I used to do it and worry can certainly make you think you've got something wrong when you haven't. You're far too young to be worrying about something that may never happen so just think how lucky you are that you have nothing wrong with you, except for an over-active imagination!
  • Posted

Look mate worrying about something that hasn't and probably won't happen is not the ideal way to approach your life,worry about it if and when it happens,worry is the silent killer and not the way forward for a lad of your age.

I have plenty of things wrong with me at age 64 but I carry on as normal,life's too short to worry,take heart and live your life while you're young enough to enjoy what should be a really good time for you.

Regards Malc

• Posted

The problem is that there's a chance that anyone can get something like MS... That's what scares me. It could happen to a loved one or to myself. I understand that the chance may be low, but it's still frightening to me.

I just need some reassurance and advice to help calm me down and take my mind off of things.

• Posted

Also, I'm very thankful to the posts you guys have made. I really appreciate it.
  • Posted

I don't ever recall worrying about what might happen at your age.Get out and enjoy your life is my advice stay away from google symptom web sites period .i wouldn't at my age and I can give you quite a good few years of life experience so don't stay in front of a computer and look any old thing up wether random or not .Spindles and Malcolm said it all Calm just you need to take the advice okay

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.