fear of dvt recurrence

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi All it is some time since I posted. I had a lage proximal dvt from calf to near the groin last September. I was on rivaroxaban for four months and hated it! Hair loos, neck and shoulder ache, psiriasis and felt unwell all the time. Eventually switched to Clexane injections which I stayed on untill about two weeks ago. Did better on that though still had some hair loss but not as bad as with xarelto. My leg appeared better and a scan in Febuary showed the clot had dissolved completely leaving scarring in both femoral and popliteal veins. The report said there were changes to the wall of popliteal vein but overall blood flow had recanalised. I have been very paranoid since coming off about getting another clot. I am getting mild aches in my calf after walking and being on feet a lot. As I wear knee high stockings every day from when I wake up till when I go to bed I haven't really noticed hardly any swelling lately. The DVT doctor at Haematology in Kings said my DVT leg looks same size etc as my good leg. Could these mild aches be a result of my blood having returned to normal thickness and my leg getting used to it? I am just so scared of another clot and having to be on thinners for life. The Doctor has requested a new scan to see how my leg is now. I am a bit obsessive when it comes to anxiety over this and any other health issue that comes up. My DVT was in the midway between provoked and unprovoked in that I had recently had foot surgery (bunionectomy and two hammer toes corrected. I also (and I find it hard to discuss this) attempted suicide by overdose which put me unconscious for around tweve hours. When I awoke I could barely stand up because of pain etc in calf and foot. The next day I went to A and E and was diagnosed DVT. The fact that I inflicted this on myself is something I struggle with accepting. However It is what it is. Any ideas on the mild aches? They come and go?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi John,  you sound so much like me, my dVT was thigh-groin-abdomen, had a good recover as I had it washed away and a stent put in.  My scans show blood moving freely in both directions, some damage to the vein but recanalised well.  I know have blue veins evident at the back of my thigh which I didnt have before, assume they veins that have enlarged but I am not bothered, grateful to have two legs.  I do get aches in my leg as you say but these get much better if I walk. I have always walked around 3 miles 5 days a week for a general exercise. I can tell you that the more you walk, the better the flood flow gets and the aching gets much much less. I am now on a calorie controlled diet as I put on a lot of weight when my leg was bad and I am walking 5 or 6 miles a day and my leg has improved greatly.
    • Posted

Hi Viv thanks for replying. Yes I am sure you are right about waking. All the way through I have walked at least a mile and a half and often more at least five days a week. I am going to try and increase it a bit and make sure I walk every day.  We are both really lucky that the blood recanalised and I am sure walking helped. Today I have been active and walking a lot and feel leg is better because of that. Less aches and so on which backs uo your theory about walking and blood flow. Good to hear from you. Stay in touch. John
    • Posted

Hi John. I had DVT in both legs from the groin down and one in lung a year and a half ago. No stents for me, as my primary care was wrong and I got Post Thrombotic Syndrome after, but Vivi3nne is right, the more you try and walk, the better you will feel. I have to wear compression tights every day and they are a bit of a hindrance really, but still manage a slow walk for about half and hour a day and always feel better after, although am on a weight loss programme as a lot of weight gain whilst ill. As far as thae paranoia about a repeat DVT happening, I think every single patient has gone through that and still are, me included. I think it's something you learn to manage and live with, but it does't go away entirely. Any more pains, I would go to the docs. If it's nothing they will tell you. As far as the personal issues you have faced and feel it's your own fault, we are all guilty of not looking after ourselves properly sometimes. Mine had no cause found, but Im sure if I look back on my life before there may have been a few incidents that probably didn't help me along,m so stop punishing yourself, get to the docs if you are worried. You will get through this., And this site is a god send if you want to chat. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.