Fear of eating

Posted , 3 users are following.

What should I do? I've been depressed because everytime I eat, I feel anxious and nervous as if I am really scared of eating. My heart beat so fast and I was trembling, all I wanted is escape from eating but the truth is I wanted to overcome this fear of eating. Please me to recover.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Klair,

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. Could I encourage you to speak about this to your GP and see if you can get some counselling? 

One thing to do before is to make a mood diary which describes what you were doing around the time of eating and what your mood is. 

Sometimes simple things like hormones can be the reason you feel anxious at points.

If you are worried it might be an eating disorder, I would give the Beat helpline a call - it's free and completely confidential and is open 3-10pm every day. They also have 1-2-1 chats and other online support groups if you don't feel comfortable speaking to someone.

Take care.

• Posted

I feel exactly the same I want to eat I do I want to recover I want to gain weight but I just feel so sick and in pain when I eat even the smallest of things or think about food... I don't know what to do I don't know whether to get help or not in worried their put me in inpatient clicinic as my weight is so low and i wouldnt be able to eat all their meal quanties without feeling so sick.

I sympathise with you I know exactly how you feel and it's so horrible. Let me know what you decide to do.

• Posted

Hi Memimck,

Sorry to hear you are also struggling. Like I said to Klair, it's important to seek help as in the long run this will make things easier.

Regarding admissions, if you are not a physical or mental risk to yourself you can go inpatient voluntarily or explore other options with the service. So you might not end up in inpatient. If you did go to an inpatient unit, they don't start you on a full meal plan (that is actually really dangerous as it can cause something called refeeding syndrome). You will work up to it. It is hard, if it was easy everyone would be recovered, but one of the benefits to a unit is you have meal support and nurses to talk to after meals.

It's hard to hear this, but one way or another you will need to start eating. 

I would definitely give the Beat helpline a call - it's free and completely confidential and is open 3-10pm every day. They also have 1-2-1 chats and other online support groups if you don't feel comfortable speaking to someone.

Keep fighting, life gets so much better! I've fought this for nearly 18 years, but I'm pretty much recovered now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.