Fear of going out alone

Posted , 3 users are following.

Whenever I have to go to the shop I fear doing just that because there's no one there wen I get there so I feel anxious. I can go out and meet someone but fear going out on my own when I have to do things on my own. Its like im not capable and iverthink8ng this issue. I dont want to get stuck in th8s cycle as I know I havevto 0ush mysrlf to do this on my own. For goodness sake I went to the beauticians on my own last week so why have these thoughts kicked in. I know theres no danger out there. Now I'm going to have to challenge myself and get out there today and make it to the shops just to get some bananas regardless of how bad the weather is I think I've just lost trust in the outside world that's all it is. I suppose I need that confidence back.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I've had those issues, you have to force yourself to do these things. The fear eventually will be overcome. Tell yourself they are not real and can't possibly harm you. It will make you stronger in the end and help  you to cope.

Regards

Pauline

• Posted

I used to have stronger anxiety in public but I had alot of success by doing relaxation breathing exercises.If you do them especially the breathing when you feel ok or laying in bed you will condition youir mind to feel at ease.When you are about to go out do these just before and when you are out you can remember to take belly breaths once and awhile .No one will notice and it will send message to brain that you are in  safe place.after awhile as you take small risk of going out alone and trying this technique the mind will realize since nothing bad has happened that the fears will subside.It will become manageable.Using relxation breathing I went from isolating myself from public panic attacks to giving sessions in front of groups.I am so happy.You can do this.
    • Posted

how can i cope with staying in alone? My brain goes blank and i cant think of things to do.  I start panicking when i stay inalone like i am going to get a phonecall to say somat has happened to my mum and i am alone. This stems from an electricity outage we had a few weeks ago and i was at home but with bro and mum.  The music in a bowling alley went loud and i panicked
    • Posted

my memory is bad and i cant remember todo the relaxtion techniques that i did the previous day. I will push myself to stay indoors alone to get to grips with this illness
    • Posted

I understand .I had to put post it notes on my coffee table .I had to keep reminding myself.My mind wanders like crazy.I went to soup kitchen to help in kitchen..A couple months later they made me the cook.Notes all over the kitchen.I never settled into that job.I remember being at home and trying not to think I had left the stove on.I was actually going to go down and look in window to check if stove light was on(at 3 in the morning).I had to quit.So I know what it feels like .really I do ,A few years later I went back to do dishes again.They asked me to cook but I said no .What I am saying is just take small, acceptable risks at your speed.Alot of people dont understand but to us it is very real. please feel safe and take care
    • Posted

I just forget things like if someone has told me something. I don't forget if I have left anything on. I am a kinaesthetic learner so i learn and remember things by touch. If i write it down then I remember. it's like learning from the beginning from childhood
    • Posted

I have been going out more but I have to do this more alone to cope with it.
  • Posted

This is almost everyone who has a panic disorder. Its part of it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.