fear of heart attack

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi, was wondering does anyone have physical symptons of heart attack\problems? My started in January with left arm and shoulder pain chest pains constant and breathless. I've been to A&E 5 times over the last 6 months had chest xray blood test and ecgs all of which have come back clear. I'm an anxious person with a fear of vomiting but this is all new to me I can't stop thinking and worrying I'm going to have a heart attack or drop down dead I was a smoker but now on e cigarettes my diet isn't terrible I'm active at work daily buy don't do much in the way of exercise. My gp is not in any way worried about my heart he actually said he hadn't seen anyone at 30 have a heart attack without having had other medical conditions. He believes it's panic and anxiety I have don't cbt but it didn't work at all so my gp is trying to get me some more talk thearpy. I'm on sertraline but I'm still terrifed of having heart attack my entire side of dad's family have heart attack and problems I just don't know what to do and I constantly read stories on the Internet of young people having heart attacks and they have been misdiagnosed someone please help

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've been going to the same thing seen doctors after doctors and all they tell me is muscle spasm take Motrin and naproxen none of it
    • Posted

None of the medications work try the heating pad I do you give some relief
  • Posted

Hi i understand exactly what your feeling, and where your coming from. I fear having a heart attack myself. Its a reasonable fear especially when you have a family history and are a smoker, as i am and members of my family do have heart problems and died from a heart attack. I have and get chest pains pretty regularly and been having shoulder blade pain for months. I went through a period were my left arm would go numb and i would have pain in my jaw that never seemed to stop. I have been to the er 3/4 times but i do believe anxiety plays into all this. Especially because i will google my symptoms and freak out more. I try to relax and know i am okay, and will be okay. Telling myself that i am in control and not anxiety helps too. Its a vicious thing, but you can overcome this, and move on. I hope you feel better soon, and able to get on with your life. Message me if you ever need someone to talk too. Good luck!
  • Posted

Stay off negative Web sites. You can't die throu anxiety but you can a heart attack. By the sounds of it your GP has done a good job. All you need to sort out now is a psyc.to help you with your thoughts and reality check.

Tazjosie

• Posted

You are writing from a page in my brain... I have been going through this for 2 months.. constantly fearing heart attack.. been to the ER so many times, 2 just this past weekend.. I have chest pain and then my bp and pulse go through the roof.. I too have had numbness and tingling, jaw paim,etc.. all the classic signs of a heart attack.. other then being in first degree heart block (probably from beta blocker) my ekgs and labs have all come back normal.. had a stress test, echo and calcium cornoary scan, all with normal results.. still, it offers my brain no relief.. my anxiety had taken hold of me and won't let go.. I have been using ativan to get me through the toughest panic attacks, saw a psychitrist monday who prescribed Zoloft... going to see a therapist tonight I'm hopes to get to the bottom of some of this.. wish me luck rolleyes

A side note, the ER doctor sunday said some of the same that your gp said, he hasn't seen someone my age (34) have a heart attack without drugs or other medical complications.. not that it couldn't happen, he just said he hasn't seen it...

• Posted

Hi Charlotte

I been through the same symptoms and I also been to the ER cuz I feel I'm having a heart attack I still haven't accepted is anxiety just a while back I started going to a psicologist and he's like 90% sure is anxiety but I still think is a heart problem I wish some one can really tell us is anxiety ones and for all but is difficult I hope we all get our lives back one day

• Posted

I'm going to the same thing my chest is always hurtin i've been to the hospital doctors EKG and they all tell me is it anxiety pain

i've been to the hospital doctors EKG and they all tell me every thing is ok but I don't feel ok I just want my live back I get pain through my whole left side

See a psychiatrist and they gave me medicine and I'm scared to take it

• Posted

I too am scared to take the medication and my occupation is a mental health nurse... I am fully aware of the effects that the meds can have and the majority of the time the good outweigh side effects or any other negative.. with my background of 8 years in psych I still am scared to death to take the medication. I took the plunge today and took my first dose, zoloft 25 for a week then increase..
    • Posted

The doctor give me genetic brand of Lexapro 5 mg and I'm scared to take that and I just worry about the side effects that I have to deal with do you know anybody that's taking Lexapro 5mg
    • Posted

Comon Jenn3030 as a psyc nurse u should know how important taking prescribed medication is. They might not notice and if they do have your reply ready. Or take a couple of weeks sick you don't have to give them a reason as long as u agree something with your GP. Or other.

Tazjosie 33

• Posted

I'd be very careful lexapro has some nasties side effects.

Tazjosie 33

• Posted

That's why I'm scared to take that medicine because of the side effects
    • Posted

Yep, you are right I do know.  And send me out to talk to my patients and I can talk for hours about how improtant it is to take prescribed medication but for some reason I can't apply it to myself.  It sounds ridiculous I know but something isn't connecting for me...
    • Posted

Discuss it with Ur GP before starting it and possibly try something else more friendlier .

Tazjosie

• Posted

You know the saying ....nurses make the worst patients. Lol. I'm sure you'll work it out. It is hard. I have a medical history as well. Now I'm on the other side. I don't know if insite is good or bad.

Tazjosie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.