Fear of taking medication

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, folks hope you are all doing ok at this very stressful time. I just wondered if anyone had successfully overcome the fear of taking medication of any type not just for anxiety or depression? I 've had a few very bad experiences and it's made me very anxious about trying anything new. Any advice gratefully received.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

if it's a benzo I say just take it any anxiety you have about taking it will pass pretty quick.

if it's an Antidepressant I suggest looking up some good reviews. good reviews only and completely avoid looking at anything on the leaflet it comes in.

is it ok to ask what med you will be taking x

• Posted

Hi , Potatoghost I am afraid it's only a PPI drug which stops the acid in your stomach but they've caused me terrible trouble in the past. Having said that, I feel the same way about any medication

I have been prescribed countless antidepressants and anti anxiety meds but due to a bad experience with Seroxat I can' t cope with even trying them. What you say makes perfect sense to me I know you are right. I am a bit of a failure in the courage department. Your words have inspired me. Thanks so much for replying. Have you been in the same position as me but sorted it out? All the best.

• Posted

i want to know hows your experience with PPI ? i need to be taking these but my anxiety wont allow me.

• Edited

am going through this, i dont take pills cause an scared and if i take them i start to feel side affects and then i would blame the meds i dont know how to fix this issues

• Posted

Hi, Sam - Thanks for replying. I am probably the worst person to ask! Anxiety has ruined my life and my health despite battling it daily with every strategy I know. I see friends and family with similar health issues, they take the medications prescribed, are fine, get better - I try the same stuff and get every side effect and more besides! I desperately want them to work but when they don't, when they actually do the opposite to what they're supposed to do you start to question your diagnosis don't you? Have you been diagnosed with something that needs acid suppression? Does your doctor know how you feel? I think that Potatoghost had it right - not a good idea to read about all the side effects. I always try to have someone with me if I have to try anything and it's a terrible performance I feel ashamed of the fuss I make. Some things my doctor has done to try and support me - give orodispersible tablets or liquid medicine easier to get down. Arrange a telephone call after a few days to check how things are going also make more regular than usual appointments to see how things are going. Even with all this support I struggle. Most people find that once they get established on the medication the side effects become less bothersome and if you start to feel better of course the anxiety will go away I expect. I know all the theory just find it hard to practise what I preach. I am at a stage where I am damaging myself by not trying the meds so I've got to give it a go. Sorry that you're going through a rough time and best wishes. Take care.

• Posted

yes my i do have a diagnosed for having gastric, the last PPI i tried it make my acid reflux worst and i started to feel out of it,like i was week and cant walk straight and nerve issues and all these started after using the medication, i dont know it could be a coincidence

• Edited

Hi sam, it's awful to feel this way, isn't it? I know exactly what it's like. Have a look at sgt.lindalee's reply below. It's far better than any advice I could give you. Think it would be worth going back to your doctor and telling them about how you feel and ask them if there's anything they could do to support you. There are lots of different things you can do to help reflux, lifestyle changes, diet, OTC antacids, medications with fewer side effects than PPIs and lots of different PPIs if one doesn't work. I bet you know all that already. I think the current problems we are all experiencing are making general anxiety a lot worse. Take care of yourself.

• Posted

Hi Jeanne, It is the side effects people are concerned about but, you wont get the benefits either unless you try...remember the info included w/the medication is required to list EVERY re-action ever experienced and they do NOTHING, to verify OTHER factors that may have led to side effects(like other medication...legal or otherwise, alcohol use, at same time, age, pre-existing medical issues & etc.....all things NOT related to the drug that could be a problem), it is ONLY based on what people CLAIM happened from the medication...not exact science....plus they NEVER show how many people take it with mild symptoms that go away after a few weeks, or those with NO side effects at all..... nothing wrong with having someone with you for your first dose...if you needed antibiotics(for example) you could end up really sick, cause the infection to worsen, have permanent damage...if you DON'T take your meds....for anxiety, it helps keep THAT in control so you don't end up with OTHER problems & to prevent it from getting worse, if you do get the anti-depressant that helps, you could start to have your life back but, only if you try...NOBODY is saying it isn't scary sometimes & that side effects don't just suck!! Having side effects isn't a failure, if it doesn't work & you gave it a good try, its just not the one for you...it doesn't mean you give up...have you considered talking with a counsellor, they can be helpful & CBT, can help you with things like THIS and others...do ONE med trial at a time & don't wait for symptoms, take it and keep busy, don't focus on it....I think you can do it, so now convince YOURSELF...if it works, you will feel so much better, when you get the right ones!! Good Luck & BEST WISHES๐Ÿ’’๐ŸŽถ๐Ÿพ๐ŸŒˆ๐Ÿ€โ˜ฎโ™พ๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿ’๐Ÿฅฐ

• Posted

Wow, Sgt.lindalee, what a great reply! Thank you so much. That's really inspired me. The main problem for me is that I have already tried the medicine twice and it made matters worse. Noone seems to know why. I was awaiting a test to get a more informed diagnosis but that's been cancelled for the moment. My illness affects my throat and swallowing and I've ended up in hospital having emergency procedures due to getting things wrong before. My symptoms are so bad now that I'm going to have to take something. It's very hard to get help if things go wrong at the moment and my own doctor is away so that's all ramping up the anxiety. I shall read your reply whenever I need a kick up the butt! what you say is so true. Thank you.

• Edited

Hi Jeanne, I am so happy to help you anytime...if you can manage your anxiety,(if you have meds, NOW is the time to use them & they can only help if you take them) it can only HELP to get your other medical problems fixed too...Try to hang in there, once you get back to see your Dr, things will get sorted out...come back if you need to Best Wishes๐Ÿ’’โ˜ฎ๐ŸŽถ๐Ÿพ๐ŸŒˆโ™พ

• Posted

Thanks Sgt.lindalee I've had a very bad day today. My throat is so sore it is causing me a lot of trouble. The meds. I've got only exacerbated this last time. The doctor knows this but we are running out of options. I am terrified that it will get so bad I shall have to go to hospital and they really have enough on their plate at the moment. Not sure I could cope with it all going wrong again but it looks like I'm going to have to risk it. Hope all is well with you and yours. All the best

• Posted

So sorry Jeanne, if you must go in take precautions, call ahead in case patients can go someplace away from COVID patients, wear a mask(or make one, wash your hands & keep them away from your face...change clothes at home, put in wash right away, throw away mask & gloves, shower, wash hands again, leave your shoes outside, or wipe them off...Good Luck, hope you feel better soon, it just sucks being sick Best Wishes๐Ÿ’’๐ŸŽ€๐Ÿ’๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿพ๐ŸŽถ๐Ÿฅ๐Ÿ€โ˜ฎ

• Posted

the only make me really scared is antidepressent ( ssri not benzo ) because of the side effect

however, i started taking it 3 days ago

benzo are ok they are not scary in fact they will make ur anxiety calm right a way

• Posted

Thank you for your help and your encouragement, Mandoza .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.