Fear of Vomit? What now?

Posted , 4 users are following.

so for years and years now I've had a massive phobia of vomiting! I remember the day that triggered like it was yesterday: I remember sitting in my bed on late Christmas Eve as a young teenager watching a film and all of a sudden I was sick, I can't remember what I felt like before or how it felt, I just remember being sick! Ever since then I've panciked at the sight, smell and though or even someone mentioning they feel sick! Even on Christmas Eve now I panick more than ever!

Recently I've been diagnosed with anxiety and I suffered with mild depression about 3 years ago! it's coming to the point where I have a panick attack nearly 5/6 times a week! There is a day now that goes by without me worrying about throwing up! Strange thing is I'm usually fine in the day it's when it comes to night that I start to get nervous!

The thing is whenever someone say the feel ill I started to get all worked up to the point where I won't eat anything if I feel like I have a stomach ache! And the fact that I haven't eaten makes my stomach hurt so I don't eat ect. It's a viscous circle! I constant worry about meat being cooked properly and get people to eat it or check it before I eat it! I constantly have a gassy stomach from where I panick and then end up with what my dad likes to call "nervous indigestion". I super panick when the stomach winter bug is going around and use excessive amounts of hand gel and burn my hands with hot water to clean them!

I've been to the doctors hundreds of times and they have offered me blood tests, tablets, endoscopy and colonoscopy! but I'm too nervous Incase they make me throw up! The doctors reccomended me some anti depressant tables called sertraline, but I heard bad stuff about it makes you feel nauseous so that's a big no no!

It's becoming too much now and I wanted to know how everyone else copes and what they reccomend!

3 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

are you saying you have an eating disorder Jess?
    • Posted

I don't have an eating disorder, I am not underweight what so ever! I just limit my eating when I get panicky about being sick!

I am 5ft2" and slightly over weight at 68kg! so there is no way I have an eating disorder!!!

• Posted

didn't mean to be rude Jess, just needed to ask you that's all. Just concerned thats all

rich

• Posted

I think this is psychosomatic so if you can see a counsellor or hypnotist you may repeat may  get over this. What do you think about it?

r

• Posted

I totally agree with you, I am due to see the doctor for the 4th time next week
  • Posted

Hi Jess I'm afraid I don't have the answers but just to let you know you are not alone, I have suffered with this for a long time. I dread the winter noro virus too I don't eat out anywhere. Always washing hands I'm the one who always prepares the food in our house I don't trust anyone else. I guess I have just learnt to live with it . It's called emetaphobia I've read up online about it give it a try you may get some answers. Chin up honxxx
    • Posted

Hi carol!

I'm so glad I am not the only one! I'm the same as you only prepare the food in my house if it's meet! I've read up about I online loads and even have a book on how to cope with it but it still hasn't helped!

Every day I panick about being sick, mostly in the evenings when I'm about to sleep as I over think everything and it gets me stressed out!

How do you cope with it and what do you do to distract yourself?!

Jess X

• Posted

Hi Jess I do take melds for my anxiety which help a bit if I've heard that there is a bug around I don't go out anywhere or if one of my grandchildren have it my daughters no they cannot visit it's awful how it rules your life I always get stressed and land up feeling nauseous for few days and basically wait for it to pass.im better in the summer as the noro virus is not about sorry if this is a bit jumbled. Maybe you should give melds a try and therapy you sound young and don't want this to hold you back . Please try and talk to ur doctor and start on a low dose drug and build the strength up as needed. I have had this for many years and don't want you to so please go talk to someone hugsx

• Posted

honestly carol i feel your pain!!

i wonder if there will ever be a cure for sickness bugs ahahah, that would be the best thing in the world to ease the stress and panick. 

• Posted

Do you have a therapist or a counsellor or someone who is trained to help?
    • Posted

I have no one, I've been to the doctors but they just want to off loads drugs on me which I'd rather not take
    • Posted

most probably which is something i think i want! smile 
    • Posted

Perfect!

If you need anything, post on here or feel free to send me a PM.

You are not alone.

You can beat this.

Good luck and all the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.