fecal calprotectin Levels

Posted , 2 users are following.

My daughter is just 5, she's had some bleeding and mucus for a couple of years. Her test results were 456 last year, her 6 week follow up kept get moved back until we finally saw someone this week. The test results this time are 1928. She's waiting for a colonoscopy just wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom or insight into the relevance of the results. The consultant said they were high but struggling to find anything specific. They are checking for IBD but was always told it's probably a fissure. Her stools are always soft (like cow pats), she goes upwards of 5 times a day. The referral Is urgent but I suspect it's still likely to be a couple of months?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Elevated fecal calprotectin indicates the migration of neutrophils to the intestinal mucosa. Neutrophils migrate during intestinal inflammation including inflammation caused by inflammatory bowel disease.

Neutrophils are immune system cells. Typically neutrophils the first cells to travel to the site of infection.

The elevated levels indicate that your daughter's body is fighting an infection.

Please hug her...no 5 year old should have to go through this. You say, last year...why didn't her pediatrician repeat the test? especially considering her symptoms.

Be her advocate, push hard to have her seen quickly. Remind them that her test results more than doubled while she kept being put off.

Warm hugs to both of you

• Posted

Thanks for the reply.

They kept saying fissue, she had normal to lose stools but they said constipation and gave her movicol. I imagine they would have repeated the test as the follow up was set for 4-6 weeks but they kept cancelling it. In the end I asked for a repeat test and sent it in just before her appointment so they couldn't just say let's do it again. This week the consultant said colonoscopy within 3 months, she called the next day to say it's urgent now. I got the actual result yesterday, from googling it seems really high.

She's a little trooper, I just hope she's seen soon so we know what's going on.

• Posted

Mayo Clinic is highly esteemed in the USA. This is what they have to say about anal fissures.

Pain, sometimes severe, during bowel movements

Pain after bowel movements that can last up to several hours

Bright red blood on the stool or toilet paper after a bowel movement

Itching or irritation around the anus

A visible crack in the skin around the anus

A small lump or skin tag on the skin near the anal fissure

unquote

Your daughter also needs a CBC blood test

Yes, it is high. She needs to be treated today. Be obnoxious if that is what it takes.

I am guessing you are not USA because here a child can be treated immediately if necessary.

Others have spoken of private care...

If you must, go higher than the doctor, perhaps an administrator.

I am going to watch for your posts.

warm hugs to you both

• Posted

They checked her bottom and although its a bit sore no sign of fissure.

She's had some bloods but not for 8 months, had full blood count, U&E's LFT's coeliac screen and an EEG (she's had 15 seizures but none for 18 months now) all normal I believe.

I'm in the UK, hoping dr gets letter tomorrow and we hear asap. I'll call them to follow up too.

Will keep you posted.

• Posted

Mayo Clinic is highly esteemed in the USA. This is what they have to say about anal fissures.

Pain, sometimes severe, during bowel movements

Pain after bowel movements that can last up to several hours

Bright red blood on the stool or toilet paper after a bowel movement

Itching or irritation around the anus

A visible crack in the skin around the anus

A small lump or skin tag on the skin near the anal fissure

unquote

Your daughter also needs a CBC blood test

Yes, it is high. She needs to be treated today. Be obnoxious if that is what it takes.

I am guessing you are not USA because here a child can be treated immediately if necessary.

Others have spoken of private care...

If you must, go higher than the doctor, perhaps an administrator.

I am going to watch for your posts.

warm hugs to you both

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.