Fecal incontinence after hemorrhoidectomy.

Posted , 5 users are following.

So folks I'm on day eleven after having two internal hems removed by closed hemorrhoidectomy.

The pain has lessened massively, the swelling has gone down a bit and the bleeding is mostly only after a BM or when I sit up for to long.

I'm keeping myself soft but formed. The problem is that when I first feel the urge to go it's virtually on it's way out so to speak. By the time I've ran to the toilet (luckily I have one upstairs and downstairs) and pulled my bottoms down it's already coming out. I try to hold it on route but nothing happens, it's like my muscles have stopped working. I've been doing pelvic floor muscle exercises as directed by the Consultant since day three (was too painful before that).

I'm mortified and haven't left the house since Op day for fear of pooping myself.

Has anyone else suffered this? More importantly has it improved?

Sarah.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

hI there, I had my op on July 13th and still experience some leakage... It's decreasing slowly , very very slowly. I wish you the best for speedy recovery but I think this is par for the course with these surgeries. Theresa

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Theresa.

I had searched through most of the messages on these forums and no one else has mentioned it so I was thinking I was the exception.

Crikey it really is a long recovery if you had your op in July. I hope your journey isn't much longer. 🤔

• Posted

i too had the same surgery in June month and had similar experiences. it was so difficult to control but gradually got recovered. my suggestion is do as many sizt baths as possible to recover faster

• Posted

Hi Santosh,

thank you for your reply.

My consultant said showers only but I see many others mention the baths.

I'm going to give them a go 😁.

• Posted

Hi, I am just past 5 month post op and still have this problem from time to time. It is now much less frequent but it does still occur.

• Posted

Hi Jane,

thank you for replying. I'm beginning to feel better about it now I've read that it's common and will get better....even if it is months down the line.

Nowhere in the literature from the hospital does it mention it as a possibility!

Sarah 😀

• Posted

The literature...HA. The literature and the general web information on various medical sites is a bunch of BS. In retrospect, after having gone through it and speaking with many others who have, I find this to be outrageous. Call it like it is. I wish I had read this site before my procedure. I have learned more here than anywhere else.

• Posted

Couldn't agree more. I didn't even know about the swelling after an internal op until I read it here. I thought that would only happen with external hems!

• Posted

It would be great if all the recovery comments could be in a single thread. There are several very good discussion threads on this topic but some wind up being repetitive. That may be asking too much.

• Posted

Everything you described is normal, it keeps getting better and better, by month 3 its like it never happened... hang in there..

• Posted

Hi Arok,

Feeling positive now I've read that others have experienced it too and it does improve. Thank you. 😉

• Posted

N.p. its been since june 1st that I had the operation, best thing I ever did, totaly worth the 8 to 10 weeks of misery, when you get to the itchy stage your in the clear, and remember hydration and not using t.p. is the most important thing while you heal up, make sure to use only baby wipes and shower wand in the future.. t.p. is the enemy no matter how soft....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.