Fed up!

Posted , 7 users are following.

2.5 weeks post double bunion surgery! Feeling fed up! Still sore, but not so bad  casts really annoying now. Worst thing is being so reliant on everyone, active mind but feet holding me back! Have 2 boys (4.5 & 8) and hubby being great taking care of all practical stuff. Need to get out & do things but wheelchair very frustrating and it's cold out! Anyone got any ideas for how they managed this stage? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I  had my operation back in May this year.  I live on my own so you can imagine what it was like.  I fully emphasise with you but you just have to be patient.  When they made my cast it was far too tight and I went back to the hospital so they corrected it so if it is painful please do go back and see them.  I know your probably feeling that your foot will never be better but it will.  I went back to work hobbling after five weeks.  Now my foot is fine and I am glad I went ahead.  I need the other one doing but with work committments I dont think I will be able to do so.  My best advice to you is to really take it as easy as you can.  I know this is easier said than done but it really is important to rest it for the next couple of weeks. 

Shirley

• Posted

I am at 4 weeks plus 1 day today and bored bored and fed up.  I am resting with elevation the majority of time apart from Christmas eve and Christmas day when I did more than normal so that we all had a lovely dinner.  Yesterday I sat nearly all day.  What is irritating me is I seem to have gone backwards, I have woken twice in the last few days with bad painful swelling and had to take ibuprofen and use ice for the first time.  My Velcro splints are now starting to get tatty and I am starting to get stuck to carpet and the other foot when I am not carefu l ! I think I am now getting to the stir crazy stage and really really need to get out !  

Sorry to to have hijacked your thread Meliinda but I feel a little better after that vent ! 

• Posted

I bought same splint off Internet and glad I did -£14 ish - means can wash it easily and think doing job better

we all have to remember that bone takes time to heal but because we can't see it we don't know how it's doing in healing process. Would be real pity to damage this after weeks of taking care

• Posted

Hi Melinda - I do sympathise! I had a bilateral MICA on Dec 8. I'm not in casts and had my bandages removed at my 2-week follow up. I was able to walk on Darco sandals from the get go but on a very strict limited basis! I fill my time on the internet, Watching DVD's, reading  and playing mindless online games such as Candycrush & Song Pop!! I am allowed to walk 30 mins out of every hour now but am being so careful with my beautiful new feet as they are still bruised and swollen. !! I'm dying to get out for some fresh air but it is so cold outside! I guess we just have to not lose sight of the light at the end of the tunnel!! We will get there & I suppose in the grand scheme of things it is a small price to pay in the end! Good luck with your recovery Melinda! 😀😀
  • Posted

Thanks all- just having an off day I guess! Christmas was a nice distraction & lots of wrapping, card writing etc could be done lying down! Usually we'd be going on family walks/ days out Over the holidays ... Feeling bit trapped!

My op was 9th December so I know it's early days especially as I had more work done esp on left foot so it is very nippy.... Planning to get out today then plenty of foot elevation afterwards... Mx

• Posted

Hi I'm now coming up to my 5week post bunion 3rd metarsal op also have tatty splints ! My problem is that I'm starting to get daily calf cramps so painful! I do my stretches aswel ! I'm going stir crazy now really itchy foot and still pain now and again. Everything's takes twice as long to do ie housework it's very frustrating but we was told how long it would take to recover so we shouldn't moan . I'm not seeing the surgeon for another 3 weeks then it's an X-ray an hopefully Velcro splint and wedge shoe off fingers crossed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.