Fed up

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm sat here feeling sorry for myself tonight

my knee is still painful 11weeks on from my TKR

I've worked really hard at the exercises and icing 

but My knee is still tight and swollen

and I find myself limping as if One leg is longer than the other.

i really do admire people who've had both knees done ...they certainly get my vote 

I guess tomorrow is another day 

Jean cry

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Both my knees are still tight and swollen. Sometimes they feel as though there is a big clamp around them with  10 pound weights attached.not painful as such but very uncomfortable. Also makes it hard to do things with any degree of quickness or agility. Very frustrating. I'm 9 weeks and ,5 weeks tomorrow.

You prob have one leg shorter than the other because the other one needs doing(sorry). The new knee straightens tthe leg and makes it the right length you can get orthotics for the the shoe in the short leg to even them up.  from a podiatrist or the chemist. 

• Posted

Thank you Sandra

and yes my other knee isn't too good

and you're also right about it feeling like a tight band around the knee 

I'd say my knee feels worse than it did a couple of weeks ago 

you definitely have my admiration on having both your knees done 

• Posted

If prob feels worse because you are doing more. Like I said, you need a rest daysmile I'm sure you will get there, it is just(!!!!!) a long hard road. And people who haven't had it done have no idea. If I lived in the UK I would come over with coffee(or tea)  wine and chocolatesmile

But id have to get someone to bring me because I can't drive yet. Bugger.

I would really look at getting orthotics in your shoes to even up you leg length or you might get hip and back pain. I noticed that between knee 1 and knee 2 when I had one leg shorter than the other.

• Posted

I will definitely look into the orthotics ..I have a back problem which I've had for years so the limping can't be helping that

When I make a cup of tea I'll think of you and your kind words 

i can't toast you with wine as it says on my medication ....No Alcohol...lol

i've driven my car twice in the past couple of weeks but my confidence is at an all time low and the traffic is mad at the moment with everyone Christmas shopping 

• Posted

I hadn't thought about crazy Christmas shopping traffic! I live in a country town by the seaside that is full.of tourists in our summer. traffic will be crazy here when.I start drivingsad will be s bit scary i think. do you have a Manuel or an automatic? I have a manual but am worried about my leg getting from accelerator to brake quickly. I have a long driveway so might start practicing driving there.
    • Posted

Hi I have an automatic car but I had the TKR on my right knee which I need for brake and accelerator 
  • Posted

Another thing jean, maybe you need to give your knee a rest for a day or two. just do gentle bends and ice. Also sit with it well elevated, on the bed with two or three pillows under it lengthwise. I do this when it is really bad, and it helps. A lazy day with the exercises won't hurt, especially if you still do a few bends during the day. I have a 110 deg bend on both legs. And I can straighttn them both. I think you need a rest day, doing something you really enjoy. Easier said than done when you are feeling like crap!!

I have started crocheting s blanket and watching British tv. I watched Emma and sense and sensibility and am going to watch call the midwife and lark rise to candleford. And I watched river cottage and the great British bake off. hevent seen then before and enjoyed them, especially the history of puddings! I dont like Aust tv much.

Well I didn't mean to digress onto TV. I also take very regular ibuprofen. So an anti inflammatory might help.you. the surgeon gave me celebrex to come home with but that has run out so I take ibuprofen instead. I have a day off that every few days to rest my stomach and kidneys and really notice it.

• Posted

Hi again

you could be right about a rest day ...that will be my aim for tomorrow

i actually write funny poetry as my hobby 

people watching can give me lots of inspiration

it's Yorkshire humour  making fun of life without being offensive

my pen and paper will be out for my day of rest

thank you Sandra you've cheered me up 

• Posted

I've just passed 11 weeks as well and recovery seemed to stall a bit at 5 weeks.  The bend is good, as I had a bespoke knee this time, but straightening is difficult when I first get out of bed or when I've been sitting for a long time.  Knee does feel like it's got a band around it (as did my other one 2 years ago), but it will loosen up and get less tender in time.  Still using one crutch out and about too.

I understand and share your frustration, but we just have to keep working.

• Posted

Hi 

I too had a bespoke knee and you're so right about the straightening when first getting out of bed.

i felt a bit of a fraud using a crutch as my surgeon said ...you Don't Need That  now 

but it gives me confidence when walking 

• Posted

What is a bespoke knee?? Even if you don't need a crutch using it when you are out warns people that you are a bit unsteady on your feet. Also if the ground is uneven it steadies you and makes a fall less likely. I don't use my stick much st home but will.use it out for quite a while yet.
    • Posted

A bespoke knee is one that's been made specially to fit your knee 

I agreed to go on a survey for my Surgeon ..and he told me the knee would be made specifically for me 

he wouldn't even let the usual nurses deal with me it had to be a staff nurse or above.

that's all I know apart from I will have regular checks on how the knee is performing 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.