Fed up

Posted , 4 users are following.

After going back to my GP for my ultasound results which is thickened bile duct he said he would refer me for a MRCP scan. Booked my appointment only to be told its just to see a consultant not to have any tests. Feel like I'm going round in circles. Please don't tell me he will then refer me back to the GP?😥

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I doubt it. Once you see the Consultant they should arrange the appropriate tests for you, discuss the results with you and then decide on the necessary treatment. Good luck
  • Posted

When I went for a gastroscopy before Christmas they discussed the results with me and sent a report to my GP. I think that is what normally happens.

If your GP has referred you for an MRCP scan then to methat is what you should have. Good luck with it all.

Take care and keep in touch.

Sarah

• Posted

That is interesting what Sarah has said.  It's interesting isn't it how different areas do differing things.  And you know, half of that is get around the 18 weeks from referal to treatment rule.  Also for budget reasons.  Patient care seems second to all that nonsense.  I've seen different consultants in different hospital for a post operative issue I have.  I kept being referred back to my GP to me referred back out again because of the 18 week rule.  Plus different consultants won't rely on different hospitals scanned images or reports, they like their own people to do it.  That even applies to blood tests!  It's bonkers.  To that end I've had 9 different scans including various mri scans, I didn't know there were differing ones of those even.  It's one of those things were the pains and other effects of the illness are so debilitating.  We all have to push on through, keep on top of things and literally keep smiling and hoping for the best!  Good luck to all.
    • Posted

I agree with you LMD. Not so long ago people were being removed from waiting lists without being told after hospitals recatagorised and changed surgical criteria. This included people waiting for gallbladder surgery who were just dropped from the list. It's an absolute disgrace. I don't think we are allowed to post links here but search for it. From what I can gather with admissions up pre winter and now junior doctor strikes, hospitals are under more pressure than ever. I also read that there have been trials ditching the 18 week target so that hospitals no longer get penalised if they do not reach the target. Hospitals say it's helped them treat patients who have been waiting the longest rather than focus on targets for everyone. There have also been doctors speaking out of the incentive to get people paying privately. So who knows what goes on but I do not for one second trust that each case is treated by clinical need. Private patients are not supposed to jump the que but we know they do if doctors are speaking out about it.
    • Posted

Ooh Lisa........I've just searched that up!  How interesting.  I had my surgery done in Auguat 2013 and I remember around that time in another part of the country that a woman lost her life with her issues.  Of course the hospital trust were apologetic but nevertheless, just not good enough.  I'm awaiting surgery now for a post operative mass in the gallbladder site.  I won't bore you with all the details, suffice to say it is as horrible as it sounds.  I feel that I will never get to the bottom of how that has occurred, but after a year of being ill, steadily getting worse with the last 4 months being the worst ever, I don't really care now as I just want to be well.  I have enquired about going private quite a few times now and I was told it would be to my detriment.  I'm not wealthy by any stretch, just so desperate to be well!  Also sometimes the private waiting times are longer.  I went to a private hospital as part of my NHS treatment.  Could not get my head around that at all. Also now, I'm at the place I need to be with a top Surgeon who is the clear up king apparently!  It is terrible thought that when you are so poorly that you have to fight to receive proper and timely treatment.  It does appear to be too that it is a field in which not a lot is really known.  Thank goodness for these forums!  All the very best to you.
    • Posted

And to you LMD. I hope it all goes well and it get sorted quickly for you. I've done a lot of reading. That's what happens when you are left waiting with not much else to do. I'm currently winging it until Monday. My medication has ran out and because the gp was sick Thursday, I can't get a new prescription until then. Hey ho!
    • Posted

Hi Lisa, hope your got your medication sorted and you are able to get back onto an even keel of some description.  My mass removal surgery is tomorrow.  It feels wrong to be looking forward to surgery somehow!

Take care.

• Posted

Oh good luck for tomorrow LMD. I will be thinking of you. Yes I got Meds sorted. Gp is sending me for bloods and if my levels are still high he is going to try and get me in quicker but he said no promises. Basically he said the hospital were passing the buck by sending me to him because his hands are quite tied. I have to now wait a week to get a blood test. The NHS is broken.
    • Posted

Thank you Lisa.  Very kind of you.  I'm glad you got your meds sorted.  It's just terrible how we get passed from pillar to post.  I agree with you about the NHS.  When I saw my Consultant and the Clinical Nurse beginning of November, the CN said she would speak with me prior to going into hospital.  And at each stage, pre assessment, admission letter etc, none of them told me what the others had said they would.  I literally had to phone today and ask when I have to stop eating and drinking.  The Nurse hasn't phoned and was too busy to today.  You know that they are saying that to every patient, basically saying everyone else is more important than you.  I nearly died in my removal surgery and they are just not getting that unsurprisingly I'm a little anxious having this next surgery.  Equally, in October when I went in overnight for a biopsy that never took place for one reason and another, they lost me in the hospital.  Lost me!  And had the bare face check to ask me what I had done to be found.  I didn't know I was even lost mate!!  Then they wonder why you ask normal questions like, how long will I be in for??  Is everything still happening??  You have to laugh really.  But even then, they say, oh you can't be that ill because you are laughing!!  If you didn't laugh you'd cry innit!!  I'm a very positive person but all this flim flam has pushed me to the limit!!  But I will not be broken!! LOL!!  I will be ok.  I have to be.  No other choice in life.  I'll be in touch next week I reckon when I'm hopefully just recouperating.  Good luck with everything. 
    • Posted

Oh LMD I don't expect you will read this but I am thinking of you today. I wish you well and a speedy recovery this time. I sincerely hope that this solves all your problems. Best of luck Xxx
    • Posted

Oh Lisa, how wonderfully kind and thoughtful of you.  I really am touched.  Well, you won't believe this.  I am home.  It didn't happen.  I arrived at Hospital at 8am.  After a bit, saw a Nurse, did my urine sample, blood pressure and heart rate checks, I'm fit and healthy there, ran through the form, got my identity bracelet on.  Was called in at just gone 11am saying the Consultant was ready to see me but it was actually some Manager to say it had to be cancelled.  I don't think they were expecting me to burst out crying which I did!  I've got a couple of options from them to consider about going forward, whether I wait another month for my Consultant and it could happen again.  Or whether I see someone else next week and have them operate on me at the end of the month.  I'm speaking to my GP tomorrow.  I don't want to cut my nose off to spite my face.  Equally, I don't want to keep waiting if it's going to jeopardise my health any further etc.  I will let you know how it all pans out. xx 
    • Posted

I am seriously gutted for you LMD. That is an absolute disgrace!!! I'm pretty sure that they have to rebook within 28 days but even so that sucks big time!! You have been so badly let down. When I saw your name I thought ohhhh she must be really ok but then I was so shocked to read that. I do not have the words. Let us know how you get on with the GP tomorrow. Take care and hugs to you. I'd be in tears as well :-(
    • Posted

There should be a complaints procedure.

When i was in hospital a few years ago I went in overnight so was put in an admission  ward. Next morning I was told I was going for a scan so nothing to eat or drink.

A poter came to get me so I assumed I was going for a scan.

No he said I'm taking you to another ward.

I could see my notes were being left so I mentioned this.

Porter said not to worry they would be coming with me.

The second ward did not know i was going for a scan I had to tell them.

They checked with admission ward and said yes I was going for ascan but no reason why I couldnot eat or drink by which time I had missed my lunch. So they gave me a sandwich and a cup of tea.

Went for scan and yes you've got it in one.

They would not scan me because I had eaten!! so had to wait for scan till the next day!!

I was in for a few days and this was just the beginning of what went on. I really felt I had been in a mad house.

Went through complaints procedure when I returned home.

Hope this gets sorted for you sooner rather than later.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarahxx

• Posted

Oh Sarah,  that is horrible when that happens.  Happened to me too in Ocotober.  I was told I was being admitted overnight for a ct led biopsy.  I arrived when told 8pm.  Bed not ready went back 9.30 pm still not ready.  I'm really tired I said.  Why they asked.  Er, because I'm poorly!  Nil by mouth from Midnight. Cannula inserted for the ct scan and put on a drip, machine kept beeping as everytime I moved even slightly it went off as it was fitted right in the inside crease of my elbow.  Morning came.  Nothing happened.  Kept asking.  11.30 am the porters arrived, took me downstairs.  Where have you been we lost you.  I was first on the list and then went to last!  Then they said it was for an ultra sound biopsy.  Er, no, it's too painful in that area for ultra sound!  They tried, couldn't do it.  Oh, we'll do another special mri scan but you'll have to come in again for that it's too late now and gave me an appointment where I had to travel through London in rush hour.  I have a complaint in from that that they haven't replied to yet.  It's just rubbish.  Then the way they speak to you if you deign to ask a question.  It's disgusting how they treat folk it really is.  I should have a plan of action by close of play tomorrow. Fingers crossed.  Thank you for caring.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.