Fed up

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I've been on Amitriptyline for three weeks now to help with my anxiety and anxiety nausea.

I started on 10mg on the first week, feeling no benefits or any sedation. My doctor informed me that if I felt no improvement I could up my dosage to 20mg.

I did up my dosage to 20mg, and felt no real relief.

After the second week I went back to my doctor, who upped my dosage to 30mg.

I still felt no improvement, my anxiety and nausea were still present, along with the vomiting.

My parents said that they noticed an improvement in my mood, and that I seemed to have more life in my eyes. 

Last Friday I went to see my gastroenterologist, who suggested that I might need an endoscopy to see if everything is okay in my stomach.

He recommended that I keep taking the Amitriptyline, and said that if I felt no relief I could up it to 40 or 50mg.

I decided to up my dosage to 40mg last night (due to having anxiety over a work event).

I still felt no sedation, or any improvement on my stomach. I ended up sweating and overthinking through the night. When all I really wanted was to be able to go to sleep.

I'm just feeling so fed up now, I've tried a number of antidepressants in the past few months, I'm currently having hypnotherapy as well. But the medication seems to be the most bothersome.

In the past, antidepressants have worked easier for me.

But now it'f like nothing works at all. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It took me a good 6 weeks or so to see a big improvement for my symptoms (anxiety, chest pain, back pain, stomach pain and oesophageal spams) I was on 10mg for weeks and only felt relief from the back pain. I upped to 20mg about 8 weeks ago and I’ve only recently started to feel a lot better. Give it a few more weeks and see how you feel. All the best x
  • Posted

Robert can i ask how have you found the hypnotherapy? i too have anxiety mine is health anxiety. I am not taking any medications and wonder if  the hypnotherapy would help?  Can i ask what stomach problems you have? I had a lot of stomach problems coming off of amytriptyline .
    • Posted

Hi Amanda,

I've found the hypnotherapy to be quite useful. My hypnotherapist is very thorough and asked me a lot about my past and my life. Seeing that a lot of things that happened in my past have set up and caused my anxiety. She's taught me a few techniques that I can use to call myself down, along with mp3 recordings of her walking therapies.

My stomach issues with anxiety cause me to feel nauseated, it can last all day or part of the day. A lot of the time I end up vomiting I the mornings due to waking up panicking and nauseated.

So far the symptoms haven't been reduced on any of the antidepressants I've taken.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.