Fed up feeling like this

Posted , 4 users are following.

Started getting back pain a year ago, it very quickly got worse and I had to give up working in September. sad

I have been attending GP regularly and have had various painkillers etc, which I need to top up with Paracetamol due to the amount of pain I get.

I got an MRI scan and an appointment was made for me to see Consultant...June 12 \"not long now\" to treat my disc prolapse and anything else connected with my back problem. :?

The pain I have has been getting worse as the days go on, pain radiating from my back right down both legs and to my feet. Weird tingling sensation like someone sticking something sharp & hot into you. Recently both hips feel like they have been bruised, as if I lie on either side, I am in agony, so forever moving position trying to get comfy, even sleeping tablets at bedtime don't give me more than a couple of hours sleep.

My legs have given way on a couple of occasions, so I fear having a shower on my own, ot doing the little things I used to do, like walking to shop. sad

The pain makes me feel sick as well & don't know if it's the medication or the pain, but sweat drips off me, so I feel really embarrassed and our social life is badly effected. I am so down and depressed, I have been prescribed anti-depressants, but can't see any difference to my moods.

:oops: I am also running to loo all the time, but cannot go. :roll: I am at the end of my tether, and if it wasn't for my man, I dread to think what I would have done. Don't know how he puts up with me snapping all the time. I know there are a lot of people worse of than myself, but don't want to be like this for the rest of my life, I can't even play with my grand-daughter without crying with pain. Even lying in bed with heatpad on my back writing this, as the pain is driving me mad. Pity Euthanasia isn't allowed in this Country. At least I would be free of pain. JUST HAVE TO HOPE the Consultant can do something.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Just keep going! You are nearly there! Just ten more days and then hopefully the Consultant will be able to at least tell you what is wrong and what can be done. That is half the battle....as hope can be restored. The sitting, waiting and wondering is awful. Thank God for the internet, where you can at least read stuff and get an idea of what is going on. From my point of view I think it would have been very scary twenty years ago, going through all the changing symptoms and not having a clue what was wrong. My symptoms change all the time (even post two surgeries) and I describe it as being like a moving target, as the pain/numbness balance changes constantly. It is very irritating and so difficult to know what to do for the best. I do stumble, not so much these days and don't fall very often, but I do share your fear of going over in the shower because of the consequences, not least having my family rescue me....naked!!!. For me though, the stumbling is when I'm walking as I catch my foot sometimes. Damn nuisance!!!

Let us know how your appointment goes.

Best wishes and good luck for the 12th.

TFU

• Posted

Hello Miss W,

I'm lost for words! I know exactly how you feel and pain is something you cannot put into words and explain to others.

I have had a pro-lapsed disc now for nearly 2 years, had an epidural last year which was unsuccesful and have refused to have surgery.

Everyone has their own type of pain and their own way of dealing with it. Anything from a hot water bottle, sleeping with a pillow under one leg, pillow under your feet, laying on the floor, walking, swimming at a Hydro-therapy pool.

All I can say is you are not alone and this has taken me a long time to except. :D

I do hope you find some comfort and do keep in touch.

Rx

• Posted

I have felt so isolated during the past year and cannot believe the amount of people experiencing the same.

I have asked NHS professionals if there were any discussion groups, but told NO.

It would have been good to discuss my problems and issues with someone who actually knew what I am going through.

I just hope my Consultant in 10 days gives me something positive, as I am at the end of my tether.

Thank You to all replies & I hope you all have a pain free & healthy future.

Will definitely keep u all posted on my progress.

• Posted

Hi there

Have just come across your post about groups.

I am at present attending a group run by my local PCT 'Self-Management of Long-Term Health Conditions'

The 2 people running the group were once themselves attendee's and it is helpful discussing situation with other people. We have different health issues but understand each others feelings and frustrations.

The book which is handed out is 'A Handbook for People with Chronic Disease' NHS Expert Patients Programme.

If any further details needed please feel welcome to ask.

Hope you are all doing well, Rx

[b:2acbe64e3b]Sorry but Patient Admin have removed a postal and an email address from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum. [/b:2acbe64e3b]

• Posted

Oh my goodness, I can't believe how much you're suffering, god I really feel for you.

I've had the same but just down one leg and that was bad enough. I'm recovering from a microdiscetomy operation and so far so good.

When you see your consultant, I would definitely mention the problems you're having going to the toilet as well as everything else. They do say that if you start having problems with your bladder, you become an urgent case.

I just hope the consultant can help you. I tell you, if things get so bad before your appointment, I would go to A&E.

Big hugs, I really am sorry you've been in so much pain.

Love

Jude xxx

• Posted

I've just read your post and can't believe I have finally found other people suffering like me! I have a prolapsed disc and have suffered with it on and off for about 6 years. I have only been to the GP a couple of times over this before and have only had a couple of episodes where walking has been excruciating. I have found that exercising and generally keeping active have helped me keep on top of it.

However, I have had the past 2 weeks off work with the worst pain i have ever experienced in my life - including giving birth to 2 children!! My inside thigh was burning and I could hardly move it one morning so I went to A&E. They gave me a shot of morphine straight away and sent me home with a letter for GP to refer me for MRI (which is on 15 July). I was prescribed codeine (which causes terrible constipation!) and 3 days worth of diazepam.

The burning has stopped now but most of my left thigh is numb and this also spreads underneath me. I am also now having pain in my lower back. It started here originally but I mostly experience the pain in my left buttock, particularly where the leg meets the cheek.

I am going to wait and see what the MRI says and listen to the medical advice about the possibility of an operation. At the moment, my thoughts are that I would probably have the operation as I am only 32, both my children are still under 5 and I work. I like to be busy and active and simply don't have the time or patience to deal with this!

I have felt really low for the past few days and keep thinking of all the things I love to do that I won't be able to do if my back won't let me. It's really getting me down and I feel like such a bad mum at the moment cos I am boring myself - never mind the girls! My husband tries to understand but it must be hard for him when all I do is snap at him! My stress/tolerance level seems to have diminished while having to deal with my pain and the effect on my life in general. I have even thought that they can just chop my left leg off if it will stop this pain!

I hadn't realised how common this problem was and feel a bit of comfort knowing that i am not alone with this. I wish everyone out there luck with whatever treatment they can get or decide to take.

Sarah x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.