Fed up of feeling sick

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all

I was finally diagnosed back in January with multiple gallstones and a hietus hernia, my symptoms had previously been put down to IBS, it was only after a had a couple of gallbladder attacks which were so severe that I ended up in A&E that further tests were done and a diagnosis made. I'm currently on the list for Surgery and was advised back in January that it would be a 4/5 month wait, so I'm clinging on to the hope that I will be better by the summer.

I have days where I feel fine, other than feeling tired you would think I was fit and well, but then I go through days where I suffer severe pain, discomfort and nausea and I struggle to even keep water down. I'm having one of those days now which has resulted in two days off work so far, I really don't think work understand as unless you have suffered from this condition I really don't think you understand. I can almost cope with the pain as I can take pain killers and use a hot water bottle, it's the nausea that's really getting to me, does anybody else suffer from this? If so did you have any coping stratageies? It gets to the stage where I'm too scared to eat some days, as it is I don't eat all day at work for fear of an attack, im a sales rep so spend most of my working day driving.

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

i was misdiagnosed  for 15 years ...during which time I learnt to manage the symptoms ...when I finally got diagnosed I had got to the point where I had constant gnawing pain under my right rib ... My diet stopped the colic vomiting attacks ...but I did feel a general billiousness but it was bearable ...

to understand how to manage ...

your gallbladder is a bag that stores bile from the liver concentrates it and when your stomach requests extra bile it contracts squeezes the bile out !!!! That's the bit which causes problems for you as your stones rub against the gallbladder lining inflaming it aand if a stone is sqeezed into a bile duct nausea sickness and if it gets stuck colic agony attacks ..

so to stop your gallbladder contracting avoid foods that require extra bile fat , meat, uncooked veg , I ended up on a daily diet of boiled potatoes boiled veg and bisto gravy ...it was mind numbingly boring but I could work and function ...skimmed milk, 

then I discovered caffeine causes contraction s  too ...so totally cut that out ...

also my doctor prescribed omeprazole which also helped as it reduces the amount of stomach acid produced ..

this really worked ..and once my gallbladder was removed I felt so good ...energy returned, could eat anything no nausea 

won't be long 

hope that helps 

• Posted

Hi Sally

Thanks for your reply, it's good to know that I'm not alone in the way that I feel. I gave up caffeine back in January, which as a self confessed coffee addict was no mean feat!

I am already very cautious about what I eat, sticking mainly to grilled chicken and veg, and am already on 40mg omemprazole a day, although after reading your post it may be time to say goodbye to the chicken. I find porridge made with water is okay too.

How long since you have had your op? How long did it take you to recover?

• Posted

Drink warm peppermint tea for the nausea Eat blueberries. Apple sauce and soft food. Do not eat anything with fat in itDon't drink anything with fat in it No alcohol. Sweet potato is good as well.
    • Posted

Thanks for taking the time to reply, im already eating very low fat, will give the peppermint tea a try, and good news re the sweet potatoe, they are one of my favourites .
    • Posted

try ginger chopped up in hot water its good for nausea which i have constantly also sweating and tiredness. my nightclothes are always soaking wet in the morning.. the doctor gave me cyclizine. i felt so sick i could not eat and she told me to eat custard or rice which i did.i also find nausea the worst thing and it makes me so weak and loose all appetitie.i'v lost so much weight. good luck dear. i also had omprazole which i though was for nausea but it did not work. on occasion if i get hearburn it works for that.the only thing with sweet potatoe which i also love is its very dry and hard to swallow. so i had to stop taking it and just put it in my soups.hope this is some help. 
  • Posted

I had same probs about a year ago I did something semi risky but worked first I changed my diet, before a meal drink about 2 teaspoons organic apple cider vinegar if you feel symptoms coming again later do it again. It's very heathy anyways and the vinigar dissolves gallbladder stones slowly. Your new diet has be no soda no coffee no milk. Try soy milk teas etc eats beets and fresh foods no fat baked Chicken and veggies. Next now this is optional and risky get a scan of your gallstones and talk to your doc and ask if they are small enough to pass. If they are small

Enough reply back and I'll give you the 3 day recipe to pass them quickly. Do not try try it without getting scanned one can get stuck and you'll end Up gettin surgery in the er. I got my scan did the 3 day cleanse and now have no issues I had to stay on the diet though. If you cannot pass them yo have to get the gall bladder removed if it's dire pain.

• Posted

Hi Sibbylan.

I have already been scanned, I have multiple large stones and have been told that surgery is my only option.

• Posted

Can u tell me that 3 days recipe to pass gallstones? I have multiple small ones. 14 days ago I had c section and these attacks have returned but surgeon says that I have to wait at least one month to get gb removed but this pain is getting unbearable sad
  • Posted

Hi there. I can sympathise. I've been waiting since October. Some days are worse than others. I'm in a different predicament. I need to find work but I've had a break for many years bringing up my children, one of which has autism. So I don't want to take a job and go sick. You are right. There isn't much sympathy. Once you are diagnosed you are just sent to wait. They don't care much about symptoms. I've had to make an official complaint as I've been waiting ummmm 21 weeks today. Be prepared for a long wait (if you are in England, even longer in wales) but make a pest of yourself. My blood results didnt ever return to normal and my GP wrote to get my surgery expedited but the surgeon said it made no difference. I've written to everyone I can think of and I keep politely pestering. Let them know you aren't going anywhere and in the meantime, eat a very low fat diet. It helps. This is a great forum. Keep in touch, it will help at times when you think you are going crazy! X
    • Posted

Hi lisa

Thanks for replying, really hope you get your op soon, that's an awful long time to wait. I have only been waiting 8 weeks so not even half way there yet and my condition does seem to be detiroating. I understand what you mean about looking for work, although I am in a job I had intended to look for a new one at the beginning of the year, but that is all on hold now until I am better. You also need to concentrate on getting well again before you look for work.

I wish I had found this forum weeks ago, I really do feel like I'm going crazy sometimes and that my family and friends really do not understand what I am going through, it's good to be able to chat on here with people that do understand. My other half does try bless him, but he still does not get it, and I feel like this is affecting his life too as well as my children's, although they never do complain.

Keep in touch and keep me updated on your op, are you in England? All the doctors strikes aren't helping us with getting seen to any quicker!

• Posted

You are right the doctors strikes aren't helping although that hasn't impacted on our local hospital (yes, England) Elective surgery was mostly cancelled all of January and the first 2 weeks of Feb the last I heard. The hospital was swamped in October when I was in for 9 days. I was on a cancer ward for the first week as there were no beds on the general surgery ward. They told me that the day case had cater for emergency admissions therefore it shut down most day case surgery. I've never known anything like it. They keep saying that no one could have foreseen the huge demand over winter. I disagree. You read everywhere and they say that hospitals are becoming like winter all year round. I saw it for myself in October and they couldn't predict Norovirus and subsequent staff shortages? Sorry if it seems like I am ranting and moaning but I'm still so very angry and so frustrated. It's not the Dr and nurses fault it is the management and buck passing.

For example the hospital telling me to go to my GP to expedite my surgery. So I went to my GP. That's an appointment someone else could have had. He sent me for a blood test. The first appointment for a blood test was a week later. That has to be processed and again, it's an appointment someone really needed and could have had. A couple of weeks later I get a call booking me in to to the consultant just a week later. Some poor soul was waiting for that appointment. It was a waste of my time, my gp, pathologists and the consultant's time. So much waste, so much flannel and so much buck passing! Oh and I had a pre op check back in November! I bet I'll have to go for another one now as well. It's like a nightmare and ground hog day every day for five months and counting. I'm on edge every day waiting for the post, an email or a phone call. By the evening, I start feeling quite down. Bored of the bland diet and naffed off that I haven't heard anything again. I'm half expecting to be removed from the list. It sounds dramatic I know but I don't trust them at all anymore. 😩

• Posted

Lisa feel free to rant anytime.

I'm also in England and my local hospital has suffered tremendously from the strikes, all outpatients and elective surgery have been cancelled again today, it is so frustrating, I know that there are people out there that are affected far worse than I am, but when you are at the mercy of the system it does not make you feel any better.

I ho to see my gp when I'm not feeling well or in a lot of pain and all he does is send me to a&e, then I wait there that long that the pain abates and by time I see a consultant im feeling far better, they examine me, concur it's my gallstones giving me problems and send me home and tell me I just have to wait for my op, I feel like my whole life is on hold at the moment and the outcome is at the mercy of a system which I don't hold much faith in at present. On the bright side it's the best diet I have ever been on, I have dropped to a size 8 from a 12 since Christmas, although I really can't afford to lose anymore weight as I can literally see my ribs sticking out now! I dread to think how I will be in another 10 or so weeks! If you don't mind me asking what part of England are you from? x

• Posted

I am from central southern England on the coast. Yes the gallbladder diet is the best out there. I've lost over two stone on it. I've been stepping my exercise the past few weeks. It helps to work off some of the frustration and it will hopefully get me so I recover quicker when I finally get the op. My gallbladder is full of stones and thick to 6mm. One of the bile ducts showed damage from a previously stuck stone. I just want it out. Do you get the stitch on your right side? It makes it tough to walk through it but it's the only way to do it.
    • Posted

I get terrible stich on my right side, and a constant ache there, almost as if somebody has kicked me in the ribs. I exercise a lot, running & swimming mainly although my running is suffering at the moment as often when I run I get heartburn and acid indigestion which results in me being sick, not sure if it's the gallbladder or the hernia that is causing that.I'm still managing to swim though and find that very relaxing and it helps with the pain.

I also get a stabbing pain by my right shoulder blade, this seems to get worse as the day goes on, and can be unbearable by bed time, do you ever get that? x

• Posted

Yes all the time! I also have a hernia which seems to be common for some reason. The doc prescribed me lanzopozol for the acid and Buscopan. I find the Buscopan really helps with the stitch and the ache. It really worries me when the pain goes round my back though. It does come and go like stabbing. It's my left shoulder I get pain for some reason. Like a trapped nerve. I never realised it could be linked but a lot of people say they have it. Sometimes it just feels tight and then I worry I'm going to go into an attack. It's horrible isn't it? Like a ticking time bomb...
    • Posted

Yes it is horrible, the pain in my shoulder just be the right shoulder blade is almost constant, I find a tightening in my ribs is usually the sign of an imminent attack then when I do have an attack it wipes me out for a couple of days.

I also often get awaken in the night with tummy pains which radiate through to my back, they can keep me awake for hours. When the cure really is such a simple procedure it beggars belief that we are left to suffer for as long x

• Posted

Sure is. What's worse is my surgeon is also works privately at a hospital across the road. I enquired as to how quick I could be seen privately. They said 2 weeks, 3 weeks max. They take NHS patients under choose and book and it takes 13 weeks but I couldn't choose and book because I was listed as an inpatient. Incredible isn't it. Also the top floor of our hospital has a 6 bedded private wing with no less than 36 private consultants which all work for the NHS as well. They use NHS theatres but that helps fund the hospital. It's good in principle but they say it doesn't affect NHS patients but I want to know how many of those private beds have been used to mop up emergency NHS admissions. I'll take a punt at 0. The Hospital go on about treating by clinical need. No, it's ability to pay. Gosh I'm just so angry. I'm a bit anxious today. I'm SUPPOSED to be getting an answer to my complaint. I was told it would be emailed today. Tick tock
    • Posted

I'm not suprised you are anxious, im actually on the list as an outpatient so my waiting time is shorter than an inpatient but still 4/5 months! You are completely right about it being on ability to pay, and it really is not fair, I have paid my taxes and Ni contributions all my working life and have never had to pull back out of the system, but now that I need it I feel like I'm being overlooked. Surely it's better for them to operate now when they know it's a problem instead of leaving it for us to get poorly er and then become more of a drain to the NHS?

Fingers crossed you get your email, let me know how you get on x

• Posted

My friend was visiting relatives in South Africa and had a terrible gall bladder attack and had to have an emergency operation £24,000 ...

the nhs is annoying but I am glad we have it , some people post on here from USA and they can't afford the operation and want self help advice to live with it ... 

• Posted

Thank you. They said if I have another serious attack I'd have to wait another two months at least. So even when I've been grumbling down there I've kept quiet. Plus delaying increases the risks of complications. I expect they will make me wait right up until 5pm today or even tomorrow. The clinical commissioning group rang me yesterday and accepted over all responsibility and said if the hospital don't give me a date they have options to get me seen quicker. But seeing as it's likely to be June or July as it stands it doesn't mean much to be seen quicker. I could still wait until may perhaps. I was supposed to get an answer to my complaint a week ago but they've been holding off. I enquired about freedom of information and accessing my medical records on Monday and got a call yesterday. But I think it's just fanning it out as long as they can. I'm being a polite pest but my patience is waning!
    • Posted

Hi Sally, I am sorry to hear about your friend, and I do understand what you are saying about people who are suffering in other countries and do not have our NHS service, however when you are constantly in pain, feeling sick, and generally unwell and have paid into the system for years and you really do need treatment your patience does start to wear a bit thin, yes we are lucky to have the NHS but when you are waiting months for desperately needed treatment and can not afford to pay for private treatment you do not feel lucky x
    • Posted

I'm glad we have it but that doesn't mean we should sit back and do nothing when things go wrong. It's the service we have and pay for. The government set targets which are a patients LEGAL rights. As a patient you are expected to attend appointments, be on time, follow all the advice and make yourself available for surgery for 18 weeks under the constitution. People do abuse it though and that's wrong, I won't deny that. I do not blame frontline staff but managers and the ever increasing layers of red tape. People do not like to complain about the wonderful-not-so -free NHS but they should, when it goes wrong. It's the only way to keep it running as the best health service in the world. How are they supposed to improve unless people tell them when it's gone wrong? I'm not in a bubble, it may not help me but it could help the next person that comes along. I do also believe in singing praises when things do go well. No one LIKES making complaints but sometimes it's necessary.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.